Chapter 27: Packing

A small grunt falls from my lips as I reach up to pull the dress off its hanger, the closet so tightly packed that the fabric keeps getting snagged against itself. I was shocked when Heloix barged in my room this morning demanding that I pick out the clothing I want to bring for our trip, poor John standing behind him practically pissing his pants.

Heloix refused to offer any advice on what to pack or how long we will be staying for, leaving me with no choice but to pack something for every occasion. Even though I've worn nothing but an oversized grey dress my entire life, I'd say that I'm pretty well versed in the attire that the royals wear.

"Do you want me to help you?" John speaks up, wearily eyeing the dress I'm tugging on from where he lounges on my bed.

"No."

Despite my answer, he gets up walks over to me before swatting my hands away. "The King will be upset if he finds out I allowed you to pack for yourself."

A loud snort escapes me at his words, and I roll my eyes in annoyance. Heloix has been getting on my last nerves with this whole 'Adeline can't do anything for herself' thing he's been pushing. I've been feeling better with each passing day and am almost entirely back to normal save for a couple of headaches here and there.

"If the King wants my suitcase packed for me, then he can come and do it himself." I retort, pushing John's hands away and snatching the dress once more.

I angrily tug it until it dislodges from the hanger, the fabric falling quickly into my arms. Bundling it up in my arms, I turn towards the open suitcase on my bed. I can see John watching me out of the corner of my eye, but I ignore his presence as I give the dress a sloppy fold and stuff it in with the others.

"How'd you convince Heloix to leave you alone with me?" I ask, genuinely curious given that up to this point John has only been allowed to be around me when there is somebody else present.

"Because," John murmurs, cutting in front of me as I turn back towards my closet. "He thinks that I'm packing for you."

John refuses to let me pass, his broad back blocking my path. I contemplate trying to push him out of the way but decide against it with a silent grunt. It's unusual for John to take his duties seriously and the fact that he is fighting with me to do his work is a clear sign of how nervous he is.

I don't blame him, though, considering that Heloix gave him this task personally and the punishment for disobeying would probably be quite severe.

My mood drops as I realize that I'm being entirely unfair to John, my comfort leading me to act out and disobey the King despite the fact that his kindness only extends to me. Heloix wouldn't hesitate to punish either John or Betty if they stepped out of line, yet here I am fighting with and urging them to do just that.

With a heavy heart, I sit back down at the edge of my bed and watch John pull out the clothing I sloppily packed and refold them neatly.

"I feel uncomfortable being treated like this." I admit, embarrassed that Heloix is forcing the slaves to wait on me hand and foot like they would with a Beast.

John pauses his motions, glancing up at me with a small smile.

"That feeling is what makes you a good person." He shrugs, letting out an abrupt laugh. "If it were me, I'd be milking it for all it's worth."

I chuckle at John's statement, knowing that he would love to have me cater to him. He'd probably tease me about it for weeks afterward, too, making sure that everybody knows how I'm his personal slave.

"Do you know how long I'll be gone for?" I pry, wondering if Heloix was more generous with information to John than he has was to me.

"I don't think for long." John answers, turning to glance at me in confusion. "The King told me to pack enough clothes for a couple of days. Did he not tell you?"