ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀ: ᴀʟᴀᴍᴏʀᴛ

1.04

(adj

(adj.) half dead of exhaustion

♡♡♡

I sat on the floor of my bedroom. The cold flooring kept me wide awake- not that I was afraid of falling asleep. The flooring was just more efficient: it provided a larger workspace.

In front of me sat a small stack of paper that I had managed to smuggle from my mother's office; a blue, ballpoint pen; and a small candle, just bright enough to illuminate the area in front of me. It was risky to be doing what I was doing.

I decided to start simple. What was my goal? What obstacles prevented me from achieving the said goal? How do I eliminate those obstacles? What will I do after achieving my goal? I scribbled down bullet points with these questions on the paper.

I was tasked with evacuating myself and two others from a farm that had proved successful for who-knows-how-many generations of children. I am not dumb enough to believe I was the first child to find out my purpose here. I am already on thin ice.

My goal is to safely escape with the two of them to a better society. At the moment, mother, the tracking devices (I am not dim, as we've established; the babies all have "bug bites" on their ears when they come to Grace Field along with newly inked tattoos), the demons, and the lack of an escape route were my biggest obstacles.

Mother is most likely the easiest obstacle to overcome. Using sleeping pills- ones that we keep for restless children- I can drug her nightly tea. It shouldn't be too difficult, I'm well aware of her schedule. The tracking devices can likely be cut out. A scalpel from the first aid kit should do the job. The last two obstacles can be solved together. None of us can fight the demons, yet, at least. So the only way to overcome that obstacle is to completely avoid it. Meaning that the gate is off-limits. We would be escaping over the wall.

Proud of the progress I had made so far, I double-checked my plans and added a few extra details on a new sheet.

On the day of the escape, while my mother was cleaning the kitchen after breakfast, I would ask to visit the babies in her room. Assuming she says yes, I'll make my way to her desk. In the small drawer are her mints. I'll place those on the table and make a quick run to the medicine cabinet on the other side of the room. In the medicine cabinet, I'll locate the melatonin. She won't be able to tell the difference.

After switching the mints and the medicine, I would return everything to its rightful place. Once again in the medicine cabinet; I'll find the first aid kit, and remove the scalpel. I bite my lip- if any child gets hurt that day, mother will notice the missing tool. That's a chance I'm willing to take. Had this not been so time-sensitive, I would have thought different.

After leaving my mother's room, I'll go straight to my own. The scalpel will be hidden under my duvet. The escape itself will occur at about one in the morning. The melatonin will be in full effect by then. Isabella, Leslie, and I will cut each other's tracker off and place it in our beds. Pillows will act as substitutes for our actual bodies.

The biggest hole in my master plan remains at the wall. It's already obvious how we would get on top of it (a large tree nearby) but what lies on the other side? I could not risk last-minute confusion. Stacking my used papers together, I hover them over the candle, the thin paper catches fire immediately. I watch as it burns down to my hands, into ash.

For apparent reasons, I could not leave papers with my escape plan revealed. Plus, the only reason I wrote anything down in the first place was to solidify my thoughts. Since this evening, my head has been spinning. I let out a long sigh and removed myself from the floor. I blow the candle out, hide any evidence of my scheming, and crawl under my sheets. The clock reads: 3:23 am.

It's been decided. Tomorrow, or this morning I suppose, I will investigate the wall.

♡♡♡

【Vault】

✘ This chapter is the apple of no one's eye.

♡♡♡

WC: 720

I fucking hate this chapter. It's ugly and short and I wrote it at like 2 am, I don't like putting anything less than quality (the best I can provide personally) out for y'all, so I'm sorry. Things start moving in the next chapter, so I've got a lot of work to do.

hope all is well,

rem