69. revived

Time is a precarious thing. So much hinders on it. So much is determined by it. 

It can save you but it can also end you. 

Right now, time was ending us. As the hours ticked by, we were losing our chance at saving Madi and finding a way out of here. 

Raven and I were both wearied eyed, exhausted from countless hours staring at a screen, but we had come no closer to solving the problem. 

And Madi was quickly deteriorating, Sheidheda killing her brain while bone marrow extraction killed her body. 

This little girl was going to die and there was going to be nothing that we could do. 

My eye lids were heavy as I attempted to code, Raven doing the exact same thing next to me. The guards had largely left us to be, not aware of what we were actually doing. 

So, when two of them marched in, I almost fell off of my chair in surprise.

"Up." One of them demanded, motioning for both of us to stand. 

I looked over at Raven for a brief moment before pushing myself up out of my seat. My joints seemed to creak in protest after hours of sitting. "What's going on?" I asked. 

Like usual, they declined to answer my question. "Come with us."

We didn't have the luxury of arguing, not when we had so much on the line. So silently, Raven and I followed after them. 

Two other guards soon joined us, Jackson and Abby following after them. "Do you what's going on?" Jackson whispered, leaning into the side of me. 

I shook my head. "No, they wouldn't tell us anything."

We didn't have to wonder for long, as we soon came to the operating theatre where they were keeping Madi. My heart plummeted, automatically thinking the worst. 

But as we entered, I saw that Madi was very much alive. She was angrily thrashing around, trying to free herself from the restraints. 

Russell stood in the room as well, a figure seated in front of him as he stitched up the back of her neck. My blood ran cold...it was Clarke-Josephine. 

"She's going to rip out the IVs! We have to sedate her again. " Jackson announced as he rushed over to Madi. I tore my eyes away from Josephine and scrambled to Madi's side. 

"I know what you two are doing!" Madi snapped at Raven and I. Her face was covered in a layer of sweater, her face pale and eyes dark. "Do you really think you're smart enough to get ride of me? If you don't stop, I will kill this child."

She let out a few more angry grunts before Jackson finally managed to stick her with the sedative. I let out a shaky sigh, removing my hands from her arms as I looked over at Raven.

"That's better. Thank you." Russell said to us as he finished up his task. "There. How do you feel?" He was now addressing his daughter. 

Josephine sat up, her eyes landing on Abby for a brief moment before she stood and looked to her father. "Peachy keen Josephine."

I felt my heart tighten as I looked at her. Not only did this mean that we had lost Clarke for good, but I feared that something had happened to Bellamy. For Josephine to be here, it couldn't mean anything good for him. 

My face was written in sadness as Abby let out a small sob. Pure pain covered her face as she looked at the murderer who had killed and stolen her daughter's body. 

"Oh, stop it." Josephine bit out. "I'm not her."

Josephine then turned to me. "And you, stop looking at me like that. I know you're worried about your little boyfriend but he wasn't dead when I managed to get away. Although...he probably will be soon."