10th Chapter ♣ The Bath

"Valemnians have the natural abilities to control an element. If not elements, then something equally as powerful."

CHAPTER TEN ♣ THE BATH

Valeriana had her sword flying out of her hands a couple of times. Seraphina was ruthless. She never thought she would have a tyrannical side.

"That's not enough! Put more effort into it!" Seraphina reprimanded as she knocked the sword out of Valeriana's hands for the umpteenth time.

Valeriana collapsed and held up her arms in surrender. "A minute to breathe . . . please," she begged.

The lady knight panted but relaxed the hand holding the sword. "I don't think that's enough. Your muscles aren't very well-developed so you're having a hard time."

"As expected," Valeriana said, panting. "I can't even win against you."

"You don't have to feel bad about it," she told her reassuringly. "Dawn will arrive soon." Seraphina stared at the clearing skies and sighed, chugging down some water from a wineskin. They were both drenched in their own sweat.

"So fast?"

"You should go take a bath before everything else," she suggested. "You need to feel rejuvenated."

"A bath sounds tempting." She stood from the sandy ground and dusted her pants. The clothes she was wearing were marred by dirt and sweat. She felt sticky all over and she stunk. "I feel bad for the owner of these clothes." She tugged on the soft, comfy sleeves.

"You don't have to worry about it," she said and paused, scrutinizing the way she looked in the attire. "They're yours from now on." She slid off of her leather armor and dumped it in some sort of large container with the others. Valeriana did the same, but had a hard time trying to pull the thing off.

"Really? For free?" She sheathed the sword and placed it gingerly in the armoire, sparing Seraphina a few glances while she did so. "Why?"

"One more reason is because you need a change of clothes," she simply replied. "Those belonged to me when I was still in the academy. They're old and they were collecting dust within my closet. I figured I should give them to you."

"These belonged to you? It's been taken good care of." Valeriana then sighed. She gazed at the lady knight and smiled before saying, "Thank you very much for everything. Now I feel like I have a chance to win, even if it's just little."

Seraphina smiled. "You're very much welcome. I can't say it's enough to let you win, but I've taught you enough to let you live."

"That isn't comforting but . . . thanks."

Seraphina was really a good mentor. She learned a lot in just a few hours it was a miracle. The thing she was worried about was the duel she would be having with Courtney. Hopefully, Seraphina was right.

"I see that you and Lady Seraphina are finally done with training." Corvan's voice rang imposingly. He walked into the arena in a refined manner.

"Why, Lord Corvan. What brought you here? I thought you were resting."

"I'm here to deliver a message from Headmaster Kylon. He wants you by his side before the duel commences."

"For what reason?"

"He told me that you should try to find out yourself and head over to him instead."

The lady knight made a noise of obvious annoyance. "Alright. I leave Valeriana in your hands. Take her to the baths for me, and fetch her the clothes appropriate for the event of the duel as well."