Chapterish 44

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

...

Dinner is long over and the sushi tower long since razed. I can tell it's going to be an early night for everyone -a mini vacation in and of itself from all the day (and night) drinking, blaring music, and midnight dancing. Part of me wants to just curl up in bed already while the sun is still sinking in the sky.

Brooks has other plans.

"We'll be back soon. Don't get too crazy without us," I say, nudging Trix on my way down the stairs. Brooks and Travis are walking down in front of us.

"Don't be back too soon," she winks.

"Subtle," I joke.

"After you," Brooks says, turning to me.

I see he's pointing to the inflatable that's tethered off the starboard side. I oblige and hop overboard, leaving Trix and Travis on MS's lower most deck.

"See ya lovebirds!" Alex shouts from the deck.

I laugh as Brooks flips him off.

The inflatable cuts across the glassy surface, leaving a perfect cerulean blue trail in its wake. As I watch Brooks drive, I detect a certain calm about him, but I'm reminded of the tangible tension from earlier at dinner.

"What was that about earlier? At dinner -I mean, what happened with Brody?" I fumble on my words.

"Ahh," Brooks sighs, bemused. "Don't miss a thing, do you?"

"I pride myself on 20/20," I tease.

"When we were out earlier -Brody fielded a call from my dad -on my phone. Sort of felt like they were ganging up on me. Just typical shit. Brotherly love."

"Your dad? What's he want?" I ask. Then I remember we are on his yacht for the entire week.

"Just work stuff. I'm just sick of their two-timing shit. It's all an act with Brody." Brooks runs his fingers through his hair.

"The brotherly love?" I bite my lip.

"Same as always," Brooks shrugs.

We make a sharp turn and get sprayed with water. Brooks's bare arm is covered in glistening salt drops.

Same as always.

I know the feeling. It's why I decide not to press for more information.

Brooks drives the rib right into a secluded shelly island. There's a small thud as the boat reaches the sand and we jump out. It's more of a sandbar than an actual island. There're no trees or shrubbery and only about five feet of land that's not completely covered in ankle-deep water.

The shallows sparkle in the sunset, glowing colors I've never seen before.

"It's so calm," I say. "So still."

The water is as flat and smooth as a sheet of glass. It perfectly refracts the light like a thousand diamonds are sinking through the surface –a sea of dripping diamonds.

"Pretty cool, huh? Thought you'd like it." Brooks shakes his hair out.

"How'd you find it?" I ask, looking around at the patch of shallow island sandbars.

"Jet-skiing earlier. Almost wiped out a shit ton over there. The sand just sneaks up. Impossible to see. For Alex and Nate anyway." Brooks points to the left, farther away from the Mobile Star that's behind us.

It is impossible to see. The entire stretch of shallow waters is brilliantly gilded in the sunset.

"Damn that's gold," I breathe.

"You look great in gold," Brooks says, eyes grinning.

I roll my eyes, and continue basking in the serenity of this spot. Once again, we're the only two souls alive in the universe.

I blink rapidly at him, trying to frame his face in the sun. Even his eyes look gold.

"You are something," I say without thinking.

"Something good?" Brooks's eyebrow arches.

"You are," I pause, thinking. "The still of the sunset," I say, my gaze sweeping the sea. I look back at him. "The golden color I can't forget."

"I love when you get all poetic and shit," Brooks laughs, kissing my cheek.

"Look who's talking."

MS is dead silent when we get back shortly after sunset. Turns out my earlier suspicions of an early night were dead on. Nailed it. I am sure tons of other people are nailing it right now.

I follow Brooks down the stairs and into our stateroom. We make quick work of changing and crawling into bed -both of us over-exhausted from the heat and the events of the day. Once I'm settled in Brooks's arms, I allow the lapping water and air conditioner hum to lull me to sleep.