I Want To Hear You

Keith glanced back at a smaller, lean, boy next to him smiling happily and being attentive to the world around him. After all, Lance was deaf. Keith looked away as his cheeks burned. He saw the boy for years but never talked to him till about two years ago. He had wanted to approach him sooner but he had been learning sign language. When he finally learned it, he asked Lance if he wanted to hang out with him and his friends, Hunk, Pidge, Allura, and Shiro. Lance's face lit up and he smiled so beautifully Keith's gay heart couldn't take it. He realized he developed a crush on the boy only a few months after getting to know him. Even worse a year later, he realized he fell for this boy and he fell hard.

Keith and Lance were taking a walk in the park together, them two alone. Their friends were there but they abandoned him so he could be alone with Lance. Lance looked up at Keith and smiled shyly as he motioned with his hands,"Can we sit down?" Keith smiled and nodded as they took a seat on the bench. Lance stretched out and yawned slightly,"Tired." He said aloud. He had been learning to talk a lot better since he couldn't hear his own voice. He had been born deaf. Lance motioned again with his hands,"Thank you for taking a walk with me." Keith smiled and motioned back,"No problem." Anything for you. Lance grinned sheepishly,"I like spending time with you." Keith's heart pounded against his rib cage. "Really? Because I do too". Lance smiled sadly,"Why do you spend time with me, someone who can't hear and is disabled?" Keith's hand slowed down and he looked towards the ground with a smile and said out loud," Because I love you."

He heard a surprised noise and a small voice peep out,"I.."

Keith raised his eyebrow in confusion

Lance's face was completely red and his over-sized baby blue sweater hung over his hands, his hair clip shining in the sun. His hands were in slightly clenched fists over his mouth and he spoke shyly again,"I...love...you...too." Now it was Keith's turn to turn completely red. His mouth dropped to the ground and he rapidly motioned with his fingers,"How did you understand what I said?!" Lance smiled sheepishly and motioned his response,"I learned lip-reading." Keith stared at him then covered his face with his hands and groaned, his face redder than his shirt. "I feel like an idiot." Lance pouted,"Don't.... say... that." He said aloud, slowly. He shyly got on his knees on the bench and leaned forward, kissing the corner of Keith's lip. When he pulled back, Keith couldn't hold back his smile, and Lance motioned with his hands,"Even so, I love you for it."

                ~💙~  

After 3 years of dating, Keith and Lance finally go the money to pay for a surgery which could lead to 50% chance of Lance getting his hearing or 50% chance of him seriously injuring his ears. Lance took the risk and it was well worth it. He was in the hospital, waiting got Keith to arrive humming and over-joyed that he can hear the birds tweeting and the cars honking and the doctors chatting. He couldn't wait to hear his boyfriend's voice. The doctor who preformed the surgery opened the door and Keith walked inside wearing a formal suit and carrying a bouquet of blue hydrangeas. Lance gasped and took the flowers happily. "What's the formal occasion?" The doctor spoke for Keith,"Well, my boy, you're about to hear your boyfriend's first words to you. I'm sure they are very special." Lance blushed and smiled shyly,"Well, Keithy? What are your first words to me?" Keith smiled and got down on one knee. The nurses and doctor left the room excitedly. Lance gasped and clasped his hands over his mouth as Keith took a out a small black box and opened it. His eyes became teary and a few tears did slip out. Keith took Lance by the hand and with the other offered the blue ring to Lance, speaking to him for the first time with his first words as.

"Lance McClain, Will you marry me?"

Lance got out of his hospital bed, jumping into Keith's arms. He kissed him repeatedly and tears came out of both men's eyes. Keith laughed and it sent Lance's heart soaring and he whispered,"I think I just fell even more in love with you." Keith grinned,"Is that a yes?" Lance kissed him passionately and looked at him with glassy eyes,"Of course it is, you dummy."

Lance never forgot those special words even years later, married and with two adopted kids and the husband whom he loved with his whole heart. 

This is really special to me because I've had 40% hearing loss in the past year so It was scary since I'm pretty young but this cheered me up while writing it!