Chapter 3: Coffee

MAEVE

It's the next day, Friday. I'm currently working at the diner, but I can't focus at all. I've already broken five plates, two more than usual. I've also poured hot coffee on some guy's pants.

I'm so out of it today.

And it's all his fault. I can still feel his enormous hands on my waist.

I can't get his face out of my head either. His slightly crooked nose - probably broken before. His sharp jawline. His black hair that looks so soft.

I want to touch his hair.

His stunning heterochromatic eyes, his right eye, so blue, so vivid in color, like a strike of lightning during a storm, or even better, like a glimpse of exploding stars, shades of blue swirling in orbs.

His left eye, green, so very green. Green like emeralds, green like the fields in my dreams before the darkness spread. Dancing hues of amber breaking the green apart.

The two eyes were so beautiful, so different.

Although they were different there was a similar aura swirling around his eyes... pain? It inscribed so deep behind those gorgeous orbs they left their marks.

They do say eyes are the window to the soul.

However, his eyes weren't what caught my attention the most, nor was it his nose, onyx hair, sharp jawline, or the two beauty marks that rested right below his right eye.

It was the rigged scar that sprawled from the bottom of his jaw, across his cheek, and stopped just centimeters before his perilous green eye.

It was hopeless trying to push his face from my mind, so I did the only thing I could think of, I drew it.

"Oh, he's handsome! Who is he?" Julie asked resting her chin on my shoulder, a cheerful grin stretched upon her face, "boyfriend?" she added her brows bouncing in amusement.

I feel my face heat up at her question. I've never had a boyfriend. I've never had the opportunity, all my time in New York I've just been working whether it was for money or on my art, which has paid off! I was able to get one of my pieces into The Gallery of Saint Augustine or 'St. Augustine' for short, which happens to be the most renowned art gallery in New York and the gallery of my dreams. My piece was later sold to an anonymous bidder for $12,000.

Even back when I was in France I never had a boyfriend, I was too busy... Surviving.

"He's no one, I'm gonna get back to work!" I stammer out bolting away from the Colombian woman.

I wish I could talk to one of the girls right now, but Sabrina is taking her exams and I don't think it's a good idea to talk about Elias to Alessandra, his freaking sister!

"Hey boys, nice to see you again!" I say smiling at the group of teenage boys. They come every week, it's kinda amusing watching them cram for tests last minute. "How was the chem test, Max?" He instantly groans and slams his head onto the tabletop.

"Bad. Horrible, I should just stick to football," He whimpers out, I pat his back before assuring him it'll be fine.

I don't know if it'll be fine. That's just what people say, right?