Strategies and Technicalities

You were in trouble and you knew it. Sweat ran down your face as the predator before you smiled at you confidently. A mink with a sly smile and confident demeanor stared at you with half lidded eyes. She was about your height, but she was a bit more heavily built than you were. Despite that, it seemed that she still had the agility to rival a fox if she so desired. She wore skirt down to her thighs with leggings running down each of her legs while a loose fitting, long sleeved shirt which was white in color covered her upper half. She had long flowing hair which was only a slightly darker shade of brown than her coffee colored fur. Her green eyes regarded you with interest and amusement.

"So?" She asked, "Shall we continue our little game, or are you about ready to concede and admit defeat?"

"There has to be a way out of this..." You thought. Your eyes scanned the hopeless situation before you, searching for even the slimmest means of survival. You desperately wracked your brain, looking for a way to buy time. You had used up nearly every move on the board, and it still wasn't enough to stop her from backing you into a corner. You honestly didn't expect to be struggling like this against a mink of all things. However, though she was an unusual predator; she was still dangerous all the same.

"Well?" She asked with a lot chuckle, "Have you finally decided to give up? You cant possibly beat me as things stand."

"Wait! She's right!" You thought, "With the current situation, there's no scenario where I can take her head on. However, victory only means achieving my goal. It doesn't necessarily mean that I defeat my opponent! Maybe, if I can just-"

Suddenly the door to the room opened before Malcolm strode through it. "Are you two still playing the same game?" He asked as he eyed the chess board that sat between yourself and the mink.

"I'm afraid so," She replied with a smile, "Though I clearly have the upper hand, he is a rather persistent and clever opponent."

"I'm forced to agree," Malcolm replied with a nod. "I've never seen anyone survive against you this long in a game of chess."

Malcolm watched with interest as you two continued to exchange movements on the board. It seemed that your opponent was genuinely enjoying the match. You were able to take several of her pieces, but most of them were pawns. You weren't able to take anything of substance without risking what was left of your own forces. Eventually, Malcolm decided to end the game in a draw.

"It's unfortunate, but we have to be going. We have much work to do and I can't possibly do it all without my secretary," the mayor admitted.

"Just when it was getting good," The mink sighed.

"Yeah, it's too bad," You added.

As she got up to leave, she flashed you a suspicious glance, "Is it though?"

"Is it what?" You asked.

"Is it really too bad?" She continued as she stepped past the board and looked down on you as you remained sitting in front of the chess set. "You couldn't have possibly won given my skill level and the remnants of your forces. However, you knew that I had to leave to rejoin the mayor at some point. So tell me, is it possible that you may have devised a strategy to keep me from winning long enough to force a draw?" You blinked at the mink who placed her hands on her hips and bent down to eye level with you so that you could see your reflection in her eyes. "Well?" She asked.

"Maybe," You replied with a shrug.

She grinned and stood up once more, "I suppose there is more than one way to play a game of chess isn't there? I like you, we'll have to play again sometime."