Chapter 3

Well......this is kinda awkward. Cece keeps the conversation going on between the guy I've learned his name as Diego. While creepy gorgeous Alec just sits quietly, listening in on the conversation. And me? Well I'm reading. But sometimes I can feel the heavy gaze of Alec looking right at me. 

Why does he do that?

"Wow she was the worst." Diego says. 

"I know right. I can't believe I was ever friends with her." Cece huffs. "Whatcha reading Bri?" 

"Pride and Prejudice. It's a really good book you should read it." I say with a smile on my face thinking about the characters. I hear Alec scoff. What's gotten up his butt?

"Nah, reading isn't really my thang." Cece flips her hair. "But partying on the other hand. Now that's what I'm talking about." She adds

"Well, there's this pool party this weekend. You guys are welcomed to come but it's for seniors only. You guys are seniors right?" Diego chimes in asking us. 

We both nod our heads. "When does it start?" Cece asks getting excited. 

"1:00." Diego replies.

"Oh we'll definitely be there then right Briar?" Cece turns to me. 

"Um I'm not sure. I don't really party." I reply quietly. It's true. Back at my old school my bestie and I would normally have sleepovers on nights when parties at our school happens. We don't really like to socialize I guess. It's nerve wracking.

"Well you're coming whether you like it or not. Plus this could be a good chance at making friends. Don't you want that?" Her voice softens at the end. I look up to her and see her pleading eyes. With a sigh I reply with a 'yes' and she squeals in delight. 

♡☺︎♡

It's the end of the school day and I haven't yet checked out the library. I love reading books if you can't tell. It just relaxes me. It brings me out of the troubled world and makes me imagine I'm in my own fantasy. Which is why I love reading so much. So now you guessed it, I'm on my way to the school's library. 

Obviously I had to ask for a few directions but I managed to make it 15 minutes later. School ended at 2:45 but I texted my mom if I could stay an hour later to check out some of the books they had. 

The glass double doors come into view and I knew it was the library. It's literally labeled library. I push open the doors and walk in. Students lay hanging around either doing homework, reading, or sleeping. I mean they could've just gone home to sleep. Weirdos. 

I step up to the lady by the counter and ask her where the romance novels are. With a thank you I make my way towards the aisle. I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice so now I'm looking for something else to read. 

Just as I turn the corner I feel that presence again. But it's not behind me this time, it's in front of me. I continue walking and find Alec? He's probably asleep. But I thought wrong. 

I quietly walk up behind him to see that he's reading a book. Actually, he's finishing a book. He reads? Wow.

He closes the book and stands up. I quickly back away behind a shelf and watch him put the book away. He grabs his bag and leaves the library. What was he reading? And in the romance aisle?

I quickly grab the book he was just holding and look at the title. Fight For Her by Liz Plum. I've read this book. I never knew he was into these.

I guess I just judged a book by its cover. I put the book back and continue my search on other romance novels to read. I grab the book titled A Vow of Hate by Lyla James and check it out with the lady on the counter. I so can't wait to read this. 

♡☺︎♡

"Briar dinner is ready!" I hear my mom call out. I bookmark the page I was on and set it down my by bedside table. I scurry out of my bed and head downstairs to see my mother sitting by the kitchen counter and pouring plates of macaroni and cheese for each of us. 

"So how was your first day of school?" My mom asks taking a drink of her wine.

I shrug my shoulders. "It was actually pretty good. I made two new friends. Ish." I reply eating my dinner.

"Really? What are their names?" She questions me. 

"Um well the first friend I made was Cecily. But you can call her Cece for short. And then there's Diego--"

"A boy?" She questions cutting me off wiggling her eyebrows. 

"It's nothing like that mom. He's a really good friend and invited us to a pool party this weekend."

"Are you going?"

"Probably not. I don't really want to. Cece is going though." 

"You should go. It's a chance to make friends Briar."

"Yeah you're the second person who told me that. I'm thinking about it okay?" Please drop the subject, please drop the subject.

"Alright." My mom gives in. Yes. "I'll be working late tomorrow so don't do anything stupid. Got that?" She warns me pointing a finger at me. 

"Yes ma'am." I say and she laughs softly. "I'll wash the dishes." I say getting up and placing my dishes in the counter with hers. 

♡☺︎♡

I totally forgot to ask Cece what her number is. How did I forget that? It's fine, I'll just ask her tomorrow. And maybe Diego too. And maybe Alec? No, he wouldn't even look at me without glaring. Fine, two friends it is then. 

Should I ask him about the book he was reading yesterday? No but then he'll think I'm a creep. But at least it'll start a conversation, right? But he'll probably just shrug it off and say that I'm a stalker for following him into the library. 

I sigh and think about it all night. Stupid right? But I just want to be friends with him. It wouldn't hurt that much right? 

♡☺︎♡

Hi! Don't forget to vote and enjoy reading ☺︎