Chapter 5: A Pure Princess (5)

We entered the courtyard as I pulled Mera by the hand. Several gazes immediately shifted to focus on us, causing Mera to become uneasy. They were all the eyes of men, and we were the only two women here, so I suppose it was to be expected she would be this way.

There were supposed to be a few female knights here. Where were they? Not here it seems.

The knights who saw me immediately stood up straight.

“Her highness, the Princess!”

One of the knights shouted, instantly catching the attention of the others that hadn’t yet realized I was here. They all halted their activities and kneeled on one knee with their heads bowed. I was taken aback by this to be honest.

I acted all flustered as I held out my hands with a little wave.

“Uh, please rise. You can ignore me and continue with your work. Don’t let me bother you.”

The knights complied and stood up. They returned to their work, back to training and swinging their swords, using their spears, and so on, or that was what was supposed to happen. But they seemed unable to focus. What could the reason be?

Ah yes! It was me!

But something like this should be expected. Aside from my beauty, I was also the Princess.

“Estelia, my dear sister!”

I heard my brother’s happy voice, then I saw him walking towards me. A bright smile beamed on his face, his eyes seemed to sparkle as he beheld me.

“Brother!” My loud sweet voice echoed in the courtyard.

“Aren’t you supposed to be resting?”

“... I feel fine already. Besides, I have Mera by my side. It’s alright.”

Estevan furrowed his brows.

“But even so… is it not difficult to walk around after you just literally fell from the stairs?”

Gasps of surprise escaped from the lips of the knights the moment they heard what happened to me. I smiled internally. Dear sweet brother of mine, you might have unintentionally helped me.

“... Yes… I was hurt at first, it was painful, it hurt the most when I fell, blood coming out—” I shook my head. “No, it’s already over. There is no need to think about it.”

I averted my eyes away, seemingly about to break into tears as I remember the pain I went through. I caught glimpses of worried and concerned gazes directed at me from the knights. When I met some of their gazes as I looked at them, I flinched and looked down, avoiding their eyes.

I appeared so vulnerable and weak that they were looking at me with sympathy. Just the reaction I desired from them.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t able to help you immediately. I’m such a useless brother. I should have kept my sister from any harm.”

Estevan had a pained expression on his face, he must have felt truly guilty.

“N-No! Don’t blame yourself brother,” I took a step forward, my ever so pure eyes were wide open as the corners were becoming damp. “It’s my own fault. It’s because I’m clumsy.”

“Estel…”

“B-But don’t worry, brother. I’ll work hard to become a clumsy girl no more!”

“Estel, you don’t have to do that, you’re perfect the way you are.”

He gazed at me with eyes filled with passion which shocked me because of the amount of intensity it had. How could such a brother feel this much towards his sister? This perhaps goes to show just how much he cared.