Chapter 9: Asking Permission to Go Out (3)

A faint clink resounded from my porcelain plate as I used a table knife to slice a part of a juicy meat. I pierced my fork through it and put the meat in my mouth. The juicy meat clouded my tongue.

It was good.

I also scooped some vegetables, it was also good. The food was surprisingly well seasoned. I guess that was to be expected in the palace where royals live. I thought food from the middle ages were bleak, but I guess the same thing doesn't apply here.

I'm just thankful that the food here was delicious. Otherwise I would go insane if all food were bad. Part of a good life was eating delicious cuisines after all.

The room I was currently in was quite luxurious. This dining room was clean, the utensils were fine, the plates were shining, and the cloth covering the table was fixed and designed well. Bright giant chandeliers hung high up on the ceiling.

Maids and manservants were positioned by the corners. I felt like some kind of a bigshot now. I like it.

Mother was sitting beside me, my brother Estevan on my opposite side, and my father on the honorable seat.

They saw my smile as I ate the food, and it also influenced their mood. I was genuinely happy to eat good food. Well, the food from my past life was great, but here, it was good enough for me. I was not one to complain.

"That's right dear," my mother called out to father. "How is the situation outside the walls?"

My father drank a bit of wine from his goblet before speaking.

"I assigned more soldiers to watch over the forest by the north. A few monsters emerged recently and caused some casualties."

"Oh dear."

My leisure movement stopped when I heard the word monster. I wondered if they truly meant monster as in monster that looks horrid. Estelia never saw one of course, only heard it. But judging from that, they were very dangerous. Well, good thing I won't be facing those creatures, whatever they were.

"Don't worry, I'm sending knights tomorrow to cull some monsters."

"Will you be coming with them?" Mother asked with concern.

"Yes."

"But dear! You're a king, risking your life is just too much."

"A king must lead, Meliya."

Father spoke sternly and unwavering. He was quite brave, wasn't he? But if he perishes, that would be troublesome for me. But, I heard he was very strong, according to the memories that is. Plus, he had been doing it for years, so it should be fine. I hope.

But still, Mother couldn't help but feel worried for her husband.

"The knights will be more than enough to handle them."

"Meliya... do not worry too much, the monsters there aren't very strong. I can take care of them myself."

I don't know about that, father. Complacency and carelessness kills. And sometimes, things just go wrong.

But hey, who was I to stop him, mother even couldn't. I could try though, but I'm not going to. It would be very difficult. But, well, he had been doing it for a long time, so, I think it was fine. Again, I hope.

But if he perishes, well, nothing I can do. Just have the eldest brother have the throne then. But I couldn't deny there might be problems that would come, but I expect it wouldn't be that hard to fix. And I wouldn't be the one fixing most of it, soooo....

Ah, the kingdom's decline should be taken into consideration.

But whatever, we'll cross that bridge when it comes. I have confidence he'll come back anyways.