CHAPTER SIX

Beep, beep.

Where is that sound coming from? Is that a heart monitor? I wondered. Confusion. Shock. Tension. All battled for dominance in my mind.

The heart monitor beeped periodically, and it increased my anxiety to dangerously higher levels. The persistent sound got on every, single, one of my nerves.

Beep, beep.

I bolted upright and screamed. How did I end up in the hospital?

Not only was I reliving the trauma of seeing my terminally ill father on his deathbed, I was living in a new hell of my own. Flashbacks of a terrifying encounter with a paranormal being flooded my mind.

The abnormally bright, white room and the strong odour of antiseptic did nothing to put my mind at rest. I was in a private room, which ordinarily was a sign of luxury. Tangerine air freshener, a flat screen television, pure white sheets and a comfortable bed. Splendor fit for a princess. Unfortunately, under those circumstances, a reminder of how I was alone. Alone in my tribulation. Alone in facing the consequences of my actions.

Was it real? Was it a nightmare? Could it have really happened?

Regret and anxiety clawed at every inch of my being. Fear of the unknown, terror pertaining to the clear and present danger made my heart beat erratically.

My father warned me. He mentioned that the Continental Herald was a great place to work. In that same vein, he told me what he heard. About what their journalists are pressurized to do in order to keep their jobs.

I should have known better.

Kennedy Olajide had probably gone to manipulate some other gullible youths. From there he would play golf, travel on flashy vacations. Rotimi Orisajana would get richer and more influential, whether or not he became the pioneer Governor of Irede state. Just like Kennedy Olajide said, 'This is politics.' At the end of the day, they would benefit. People who were joining factions, arguing at family gatherings and fighting with friends over their matter were wasting their time.

Could it be Rotimi Orisajana who invoked Jagunlabi to seek vengeance upon those who sabotaged his career? It probably was, but was that not extreme? I absolutely hated all the questions  that did not have answers.

I screamed again and clawed at my hair.

I was not losing my mind. I heard those furious drum beats. I smelt the smoke. I beheld the tall, handsome but deadly being with my own eyes. That ancestral warrior, champion of justice was after me. All because I allowed myself to be a tool in a political game. A game more delicate and complex than anything I should have been involved in.

"Teniola? A dupe lowo Olorun. O ti ji. Teniola? We thank God, you have woken up," Niyi shouted as he burst into the room and rushed to my side. He pulled my hands out of my hair.

A doctor, walked in calmly a few minutes afterwards. "Mr Niyi, e jowo, e fara bale. Mr Niyi, please calm down."

I looked frantically from left to right before Niyi cupped my cheeks with his hands. He smiled gently at me, and I felt myself relax. At least, to an extent.

The doctor pointed an infrared thermometer at my forehead, and I flinched. Having something pointed at my head was triggering. He checked my blood pressure and shone a light in my eyes. His poker face gave nothing away. Was something wrong? Was I alright? I could not interpret his cool, systematic approach.

I felt my muscles contract, one after the other. I was confused and worried, and he was just carrying on as if it was a routine check up. Tapping my hand on my thigh lightly, my patience was about to reach breaking point.