8. A Lying Conspirator

—Why is this happening?

Due to the weight and the warmth transmitted to my shoulder, it felt terribly awkward. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't even move my fingertips.

Occasionally, the wind would cause Philip's hair to caress my neck. At the same time, a sweet-scent graze my nose.

...How much time had passed?

In the corner of my vision, I saw a maid bringing us teapot. The moment she saw us, though, she turned back.

The maid must had misunderstood the situation in various ways. I was certain she was going to gossip with other servants. Surely, meeting them in the future would be embarrassing.

When I tried to come up with something to say, he was the one who opened his mouth first. I was just starting to wonder how long would we stay like that.

"...Today—"

"Y, yes?"

"Thank you for coming today. I'm glad."

...Why would he say such a thing now!?

He muttered while burying his face in my shoulder. I could only muster a confused, "Y, you're welcome."

A few minutes later, Philip, who slowly raised his face, asked if we should return home. Then, the two of us walked side by side to the carriage that would send us back to the mansion.

Afterwards, our gazes never met.

◇◇◇

Three days had passed since then.

When I was leisurely reading my favorite book in my room, I heard a knock. Afterwards, "Milady, there's a guest." Could be heard.

Albeit no one was scheduled to visit me today.

There was only a limited number of people who could visit without prior notice. I went downstairs, expecting it to be Jamie who would always come with a man.

The guest was said to be in the hall, instead of the drawing room. At that, I tilted my head. When I stepped inside the hall, I reflexively retreated.

In there, was the person I didn't want to meet the most as of the present.

"Hello, my cute Vio-chan, I missed you."

While waving his hand toward me, he sat cross-legged on the sofa.

Why is he here!?

"...I'm sorry, who are you?"

When asked, he showed a stern look, which then transformed into a dejected, but also dazzling, smile.

"You don't seem to remember me. Just now, I've heard about your predicament from uncle. How difficult must it be! I'm your cousin, Rex."

—Rex Duran. A cousin whom was five years older than me, born from a count family. Said to be the first genius that had been bestowed upon that kingdom after decades or even hundreds of years. He was currently serving as a civil officer at the royal castle.

He was also very popular with women. Not only was he a smooth talker, he was good-looking—he had blond hair and blue eyes. Despite so, our relationship had always been rocky.

After all, the man had a ridiculously bad personality.

By the way, Philip had been on good terms with Rex ever since they were children. They also seemed to go out to eat on a regular basis.