Chapter 15

I wasn't much of a runner before the world turned into a dangerous playground for zombies. And that hasn't changed much. I typically rely on my stealth to avoid being zombie food. However, this time being stealth won't help me. I need speed.

Surprisingly enough, I start gaining some speed as if the power of my will is enough to make me faster than I have ever been before.

I'm running so fast that I worry I might take the wrong route and not even notice in my hurry. However, I choose to let my instincts lead the way.

After all, they are the ones who told me to keep Jessica in this world. They were the ones who bit Nathan, so I need to trust they know what's best for me.

When I get close to the clearing, I hear angry voices that make me slow down and assess the situation.

I sneak as close to the clearing as possible without being noticed and settle down in the underbrush, where I have a clear view of Jessica.

The first thing I notice is Jessica isn't alone.

My eyes squint to distinguish who is with her. And after a few moments of intense looking, I realize the man standing in front of her is Jason. The one opposite Jason with a gun to his forehead is Jared.

"Move away, or I won't hesitate to blow your brains out, as well.

"This is all your fault after all. Callen would've been able to defend himself if you hadn't caused him to get shot," Jared snarls at Jason.

"You can shoot me. I might deserve it, but you need to let Jessica be.

"What happened wasn't her fault," Jason says, firmly standing his ground.

"Jason, how can you be so stupid? Your wife is gone! That monster killed my friend, and it deserves to die!" Jared screams at Jason.

"She is my wife, and it's up to me to do what I think is right. If you need someone to blame, blame me. I'm the one who lost sight of her thinking she was with one of my men. If you need to kill someone, choose me," Jason says.

Jared cocks the gun as if it doesn't really matter who he kills if he gets to take his revenge.

Terrified of what might happen to Jason, I hurry out of my hiding place.

"Guys," I say to avoid being mistaken for a zombie and killed.

Being murdered now that I know that Nathan loves me would be horrible, so I am doing my best to be extra careful.

Even though I called out to them, Jared turns his gun towards me.

"Easy there. It's just the silly old Professor," I say soothingly.

However, I don't feel calm. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with Jared and if he will shoot me anyway.

"Leave!" Jared spits out.

"I came to tell you some important, life-changing news, so I can't just leave," I say.

"What is it?" Jason asks calmly.

I'm not sure I would be as calm as Jason seems to be as Jared swerves the gun back towards Jason, not perceiving me as a threat.

"There is a way to bring Jessica back," I say carefully.

"Don't start with your tricks. Zombies are the undead. They can't come back from that," Jared says, annoyed.

"Maybe not all of them, but if their body is intact enough and if no vital organs were damaged, they can," I say.

"You're lying!" Jared yells while Jason is stunned into silence.

"I'm not. Now, why don't you lower your gun so that we can turn Jessica back?" I ask him.