○ 4

Roaring sounds of laughs and conversations that increased in pitch filled the stadium as Mari walked further in to the room.

"Mari, over here!" A familiar voice cut through the air and Mari directed her attention over to the origin.

The tall, freshly bleached blonde haired boy smiled in her direction, eyes giving her a warm welcome as they tilted up into crescents.

"Hey Jeno," she said with a small smile and making her way hesitantly over to him knowing full well Haechan was a few feet away from her.

"How was math?" He asked while placing the basketball he was once throwing up in the air under his arm.

"I don't even want to talk about it," she said with a sigh.

Jeno sucked in a sharp breath of air through his teeth, "Mr Jeong not being nice again?"

"When has he ever."

The two shared a short laugh before Jenos eyes fell to his right.

"Oh hey Mari, this is Haechan he's new here and he's pretty cool so I thought he could hang with us," Jeno said with a smile as he threw his arm around the slightly shorter boys shoulders and walked him over to the girl.

She felt her heart stop, stomach churn and hands becoming clammy as she peered up at the boy she hadn't come face to face to since...

Well let's just say it's been a long time.

His honey kissed skin glowed under the lights and his dark brown hair laid softly on his forehead as his eyes fell soft when looking at the shorter girl.

"Hey," he spoke out and it felt genuine. With the rest of the school not knowing about their past you would think of it as some sort of just normal, generic greeting.

But that hey held a lot more history behind it than to what meets the eye- but she couldn't show that, not to everyone else.

She looked up at him for what felt like centuries, just staring at his once all too familiar face. Her mind blank as her heart thumped against her rib cage and her stomach was twisting into a knot from nerves.

There was a silence, a silence that linger for a second too long, but before anyone could suspect anything the girl cleared her voice and adjusted her posture.

"Hello," she said back as nonchalant as she could which was the complete opposite of whatever her insides were doing to her.

"Well... that was awkward," Jeno spoke out with a clasp of his hands before grabbing the basketball from under his arm and bouncing it a few times.
"This shall be fun."

He began to walk off to talk to his best friend who was sitting on the bleachers insouciantly leaving the two by themselves.

Then tension in the air grew thick as the two stood merely feet apart.

She couldn't bare to look at him, her head hanging down a little as her eyes flickered everywhere but him.

A sigh traveled to her ears and she could tell it came from him. The sight of him shifting onto one foot and shoving his hands into his pockets fell into her peripheral vision.

"Look-"

"We don't have to do this," she cut him off, finally looking up to him and seeing his mouth opened ever so slightly as his eyes flickered between her two.

"Ma-"

"We really don't have to do this Donghyuck. It's been 2 years, we don't have to act like we're best friends anymore," she spoke harshly, trying ever so hard to not let her voice waver and falter.

He didn't say a word, he just watched her.

"I can't do this, not here, not now," she said lowly before turning on her feet and heading over to the bleachers.

He watched her solemnly as she begrudgingly put her face into her hands and ran them through her hair.

Both unknown to the fact that both their hearts were beating detrimentally fast in their chests.

It really had been too long.

—————

Soooo what do you think happened 👀👀