Chapter 16

Waiting has never been Jason's strong side. So, he starts pacing in front of Jessica, hoping beyond hope that he might have his wife back seconds after biting her.

"What's taking so long?" Jason asks.

We're alone now since Jack decided it would be better for him to calm Jared down away from the zombie who killed his friend.

"I'm not sure, but it seems to be working," I say cautiously.

"How do you know?" Jason asks, clearly on edge.

It's been a long time since I've seen him this shaken up by anything. The last time was when we were kids, and I do my best to adjust my tone to avoid further antagonizing him.

It's good to know that although he frequently acts like a heartless guy who relies too much on reason, he still cares so deeply about his wife.

"You see that," I point as Jessica continues to move her head left and right.

It looks as if she is lost and contemplating the right way to go.

"Yes, so what?" Jason asks, too agitated to understand that confusion isn't common in zombies.

"Nathan was doing the same thing when he was changing back. I wouldn't be surprised if she could hear you right about now," I say, hoping I'm right.

"Jessica, my love, I'm so sorry. I should have checked where you were. The first rule of the zombie apocalypse is that you don't assume anything. Yet, here I was thinking you were with Marissa and Nathan, safe," Jason says.

"Why would you assume Nathan was with me?" I can't help but ask.

I don't want to intrude on their personal moment. However, Jason was the one who brought it up, and the certainty in his voice puzzles me.

"Oh, come on, Marissa. The guy has clearly been smitten by you from the first moment he saw you. He was following you around like a puppy," he says.

Mulling over his words, I can't help but think I was blind. Because Jason is right. Nathan did seem to go out of his way to be by my side, whether it was to protect me or offer me his support.

No wonder I never found love before. It could've been right in front of me, and I wouldn't have seen the signs.

Maybe the apocalypse was a good thing for my love life, after all.

"Jessica, please, come back to me. You know as well as I do, that I can't do this without you. You're my rock, my everything.

"I might not show it as often as I should, but I love you more than anything in the world," he says.

Jason's face is wet from the tears that seem to spill out without waiting for his permission. Crushed by pain, he doesn't see what I can.

Jessica's eyes start getting their color back as her loving gaze focuses on the sobbing man in front of her. Her hand lifts as if to gently stroke his face, but the ropes don't allow her to reach him.

"Jason," I try to tell him.

"Not now, Marissa. Nothing matters but my wife," he says, his head lowered in pain.

"It's all my fault. I should have done better," Jason continues talking to Jessica.

"I should have protected you better," he adds.

"It's...not...Your fault..." Jessica manages to say though she seems to be struggling with speech far more than Nathan did.

"Jessica!" Jason shouts, flinging his head up in a flash.