Chapter 41: Vestige of Glory

Previously on "Folly & Agendas & Talulah":
--

"Let the world witness the power of the 'Kaiser' in all of his glory! We can go back to the glory days! Make the world suffer the wrath of the Infected! Let a new nation - rise from this forsaken land! We haven't been able to go far, but with the 'Kaiser' with us, we can achieve anything!'

"Make the world pay for ripping you apart, for killing your daughter, plunging your family into darkness! Hold hands with Talulah once more, and lead the Reunion once more!'

"Isn't that what you always wanted?"

Everyone was anxious to hear the Draco's answer. Kaiser Rye was in the spotlight now. He looked at the sky above. The night had no stars nor moon, just a thick blanket of black. The pungent stench of blood and oil lingered in the air. The L.G.D and Rhodes Island all had fearful eyes. Ch'en stared at the Draco and waited to hear his answer.

"The 'Kaiser' ..." He remarked.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go back...'

"I've always wanted to see her again..."

-

"Marrr... zaaa... naaa..."

---

Kaiser Rye held the dead Skullshatterer's gas mask in hand. Grime tarnished the metal giving it a foul color. It was still smooth to the touch despite the coarse dirt on it. When he wiped away all of the dust, all that was left was just a shiny mask; he could see his reflection through its lenses. His hair was pitch black, caked in dirt and chalk. His once shiny golden eyes were now a dull yellow. Burn scars in the shape of hands were implanted on his cheeks and throat.

"We were better people back then," He uttered.

Then he tossed the mask to Mephisto. The wall of undead Reunion soldiers began to falter as they started gathering near their master. Faust eyed the L.G.D and Rhodes Island; he slid his finger onto the trigger of his crossbow. Now everyone has a good view of the deal taking place.

"Take a look at it," Kaiser Rye suggested. "Take a good look at what the Reunion has become."

"We have become the strongest Infected insurgent movement in the world!" Mephisto proclaimed.

"And they're all made up of children. Mephisto, I'm not going back."

"Why are you saying this?"

"Because I'm not going back. I thought that was answer enough."

The Draco stunned the boy. Mephisto raised his deformed, infected hand and made a pleading gesture. All of the undead soldiers around him started growling. Faust loaded a bolt into his crossbow discreetly.  

"What? Why?" Mephisto questioned. "Are you afraid that you won't be accepted?"

"No," Kaiser Rye sighed. 

"Then what is it then?"

"I'm not so sure. I've changed for the worst all these years ago, and in those years, me and Talulah have only grown apart. I've reached the point where all I know is to stop this conflict from getting worse, but even that is out of my reach."

Mephisto's eyebrows turned downward as he stabbed his staff into the ground. An angry expression replaced the happy smile on his face. The L.G.D and Rhodes Island already aimed their weapons at them. The white-haired Liberi stomped his feet in a tantrum.

"Is it true that you're not coming back?! Did you really betray Talulah like this?! You're trying to stop us from reaching our goal?! What happened to you?!"