three

"Bad news," Weatherbee stands at the front of the classroom, "Two more teachers have defected to Stone Wall Prep

"Bad news," Weatherbee stands at the front of the classroom, "Two more teachers have defected to Stone Wall Prep. Mrs. Crouton and Mr. Cedar."

"Damn, Mrs. Crouton." Kevin bursts, "That backstabbing bi-"

"We've got a bigger problem." Toni saunters in holding a file, "I had one of my girls break into Hiram's office to see what dirt we could use against him and she found his secret agenda for the town hall meeting."

Kevin leans over to Archie, "I love that it's like we're in an episode of Succession right now."

I fight the overwhelming urge to roll my eyes.

Toni continues, "And beside deciding about Riverdale High, Hiram is also putting forth a vote to unincorporate the town." Worried glances are shared throughout the room. "Based on the receipts it seems that he has enough people bribed or terrorized into passing the motion."

"Wait, unincorporate the town? What does that even mean?" Archie asks.

"It means all the money that the town gets from the state for public services, maintenance, education it- it goes away." Alice explains dejected. "It means as a town Riverdale seizes to exist."

I sigh, "Yeah, which means so do our jobs."

"So Hiram Lodge will finally get what he's wanted for years? The death of Riverdale." Archie says.

"So his precious So-Dale can thrive." Toni says sarcastically.

"But if that happens would we even be able to keep this school open with the boards support?" Kevin asks.

Alice tenses her shoulders, "Technically yes but it's gonna make it much much harder."

"So we need to fight harder." Toni says matter-o-factly. "Alice, I'm gonna need you to go on RIVW and blow the whistle on Hiram's plan. He was trying to keep it secret so no one would show up and oppose him but we need the public there so they can vote against Hiram's plan."

Kevin shrugs, "Okay, but what about our teacher problem?"

"I think I can help with that." Archie says.

"You just so happen to know a handful of jobless and desperate people with teaching degrees?" I ask and he drops his head back in realization. "Yeah."

"What if Riverdale went private?" Toni suggests, "That way we could choose who we wanted."

Weatherbee nods, "Yes, but we'd lose all public funding."

"If the town unincorporates we lose all funding anyways." Toni reminds him.

A frustrated huff escapes my lips, "This is starting to sound like a lose-lose situation. Come on, we need a better plan than this."

"We need an investor." Kevin states.

"I think I might know someone." Toni says, "Archie, if you have any favors to call in, now's the time."