twenty one; libero

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

amaya's point of view

around lunchtime we all file out of the gym toward the cafeteria.

it's been a tough day so far with so many losses, but it's nothing new. all that matters is that the guys are improving.

i help kiyoko and yachi gather our things after the shinzen match ends.

"amaya!" i hear my name called. i turn around and see the voice belongs to tobio.

"hey! great job so far today, everything alright?"

"oh- thank you. yeah it's alright," he says, "why were you talking to those nekoma guys?" he looks a little tense.

my eyes widen and i look at him confused before remembering that i did talk to some nekoma guys a little while ago.

"oh! i went to school with lev! we were in middle school together when i went to nekoma and actually he was one of my childhood friends," i laugh. "we used to be neighbors since before grade school."

he laughs a little and seems to lighten up. "oh, good," he says, seeming relieved. "i was just curious... i forgot you went to school in tokyo before moving to miyagi."

'good'? is he jealous? no. there's no way.

we follow the teams out and toward the cafeteria where i prepared food with the other managers.

"do you want some help with that?" he asks me as he gestures to the two water bottle holders in both of my hands.

"oh, no that's okay-" i say but he reaches for one anyways. his fingers brush against mine as he grabs the handle. i try to stay cool on the outside while my heart races on the inside, but i'm not sure it's working.

"t-thank you," i stutter and he nods slightly.

we get to some tables and the team sets their stuff down before racing for the food. i stay back with kiyoko and yachi as we watch in amusement.

"they're all such animals," kiyoko giggles. yachi and i laugh along as we wait for our turn to get our food.

☼ ☼ ☼

once everyone has finished eating, it's back to more practice matches. i'm not sure how these guys can play games all day everyday for an entire week.