Chapter 6

The playground that was mayhem at break, abuzz with runners, chasers and all manner of games, lies almost silent. Only the drone of traffic gives a backdrop of noise. In the middle of the aging blacktop lay the hopscotch grid. Korra could almost see the custodian grumbling just to paint it.

She must have hopped her way over hundreds of times before she walked into 'work', when no one else was looking of course. Or so she thought. Asami had a perfect view from her classroom window. Whilst she was handing out a few sheets for her students who were yet to arrive in an hour or so. A certain person in a grey suit caught her eye outside. There she was, Korra, hopping from one leg to the next through the grid with a wide grin on her face.

Asami rose a brow and moved closer to the window, watching her co-worker act like one of her students. Korra had her blazer thrown over her shoulder, exposing her toned arms as she hopped and it made her all the more intriguing.

And by God wasn't Korra captivating?

All women who stay in shape are physically beautiful, being fit, having a bit of muscle, it goes a long long way in Asami's eyes. Yet Asami could tell Korra had more to her that just brawn. Though Korra was known to be rather clumsy, a good example being the staffroom incident, it made her really amusing. She always looked so serious but actually, Asami knew deep down that she had a goofy side to her. It was strange considering Asami had only known this woman for a day and she wanted to spend more time with her, even if it was just for a 5 minute coffee break in the staff room.

Korra huffed and observed the kids running around. Of course she was given break duty, but she guessed that's what all the newbies did around here. Kuvira was out here too, on the other side of the playground.

There was is something about this old school that brung Korra more peace than she'd imagined. Apart from the screaming kids that were starting to give her a headache, here she could sink back to childhood for moment and forget the future and forget everything that's happened in the past week. It was all crazy to say the least.
"So.. have you had any leads yet?"

Korra shook herself back to reality and turned to see that Kuvira was by her side. How did she get here so fast?
"Uh.. no. Not really." Korra replied, keeping her volume to the bare minimum.
"What about you?"

Kuvira looked to her left and then to her right before she replied.
"I know that Asami and Bolin have lived in this city for a few years now." She explained.
"The other teachers are a little too old and they don't seem to be suspects. I'll keep looking into a few more that could link us to Mako."

Korra nodded in agreement, watching as the kids in her class play tag together.
"How are the classes going for you?"

"Honestly, I can't wait to get this case over and done with." Kuvira admitted.
"Schools are really not my thing."

"You can say that again."

Kuvira chuckled lightly.
"How are they for you? I know they can't be easy considering you have the younger latter."

Korra sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.
"It's horrible at the moment but I think I have my next 'lesson' planned."

"Well you can start by smiling. I don't think I've seen you smile once yet." Kuvira said, raising a brow at her boss.

"What? What's smiling got to do with anything?" Korra replied, looking up to her partner.

"You look too serious."

Korra scoffed.
"You're one to talk."

"What I'm saying is, smiling makes you look friendly. And in a school full of these devils, looking friendly can get you a long way." Kuvira explained, she learnt that the hard way. She turned herself so her whole body was facing Korra and she planted her hands onto the smaller one's shoulders.
"Alright then Boss, lets see that famous Miss Smith smile."