056

real life !

real life !

Despite the up-beat music playing in her ears, Aspyn felt like she could collapse in sobs. One Direction's "What a Feeling" was currently playing in her head and regardless of having listened to it for countless times the past couple of years, all she could think about was the fact that George thought of her while he listened to it.

And similarly, she was sat on her bed with the song playing through her AirPods, thinking of him. It might have been the best way to awaken on her birthday. Tears were streaming down her face, but her smile was stretched so far that it was beginning to hurt her cheeks.

At the end of the song, she pressed pause. She had reached the 13th song already and doubted she would ever move if she didn't stop now. Pocketing her phone she reluctantly slipped out of bed, staring across the room at her tear-stained reflection. Bringing a palm up to her wet cheeks, she pulled her sleeve over her hand to brush off the tears, a small chuckle escaping her lips as she did. Her eyes were dancing, screaming in joy. She sighed in contentment. She felt happy.

Aspyn walked out of her room, a slight pep in her step as she jogged down the stairs. She was immediately met by the smell of pancakes, and her three favourite boys were stood in-front of the stove in the midst of an argument about whether they were making them correctly. Her eyes shined as she saw them, and her feet ran without warning to tackle George in an excited hug.

A deep chuckle rumbled his chest as he wrapped his arms around her. "Happy birthday, my darling." A soft kiss was planted on her head.

"Thank you— oh my god, thank you." She murmured into his chest, hoping he understood how much she appreciated his gift. His cheeks flushed, and Alex and Karl snickered at his love-dazed expression.

"It's no problem." He whispered, the pair swaying lightly as they hugged. After another few beats of content silence, they parted. Aspyn celebrated the morning of her 22nd birthday in the vibrant kitchen of Alex's house, surrounded by the people that she loved to be around. The pancakes came out better than any of them imagined — or perhaps they were only mediocre, and it was only the presence of their friends that enhanced the taste.