Chapter 17

1946

"You look terrible" Peggy stumbles into the lab to find Sousa waiting, looking sleep deprived.

"Says the woman with a rebar hole through her abdomen"

"Is anything the matter?" The British woman questioned, shutting the door behind her as she entered.

"You didn't call me here to ask me about my emotional state" Daniel sighed.

"Right, yes, I called you here because we have a problem" the woman got back on track

"Just one?"

"Dr Wilks had lost his foothold here last night, he disappeared temporarily and now he could vanish forever at any moment. We need to do something to anchor him into this world until we find a more permanent solution"

"Whatever that something is, it's already giving me indigestion" Sousa commented, looking tired as ever.

"Daniel, not only is Dr Wilks a good man, he is the center piece for the case we're building against Isodine, Whitney frost and that arena social cable" Peggy explains to him.

"So you need him?"

"We need him" she corrects.

"All right, what's the plan?"

"Dr wilks has designed a containment chamber to stabilize himself, but he needs a sample of zero matter. I intend to get that sample from Whitney Frost" Peggy states confidently.

"Okay?" Sousa looks to her confused.

"The best chance we have of getting close to Whitney, without being detected is her husbands campaign fundraiser tomorrow night at the MacArthur Grand Hotel" Peggy starts to explain her plan.

"Not an easy ticket to get"

"Howard Stark donates money to all the political candidates to ensure good favour with whomever wins" Peggy starts to walk further into the lab. "So Mr Jarvis has two tickets secured"

"Of course he does" Sousa sighs, getting off the stool.

"We can modify this vacuum syringe from the SSR to get the sample of zero matter. We use the crowd to our advantage" she continues as Sousa limps over to her. "We get close enough to puncture her skin and then we make a hasty exit, without any fuss"

"Your gonna do this?" Sousa looks with a questioning face.

"Yes"

"You, who can barely walk? You, who Whitney's tried to kill within the last 48 hours? You, who Whitney will see coming a mile away. Same as Jarvis by the way" Sousa reasons.

"Well someone else then" the female agent shrugged.

"Who? Me?" He asks "I'm not gonna fly as Jarvis' date"

"Rose then"

"She's on a flight home, her mother's sick"

"Well maybe—" Carter starts again.

"We can't trust anybody at the SSR, that's become painfully clear and I'm not about to send a civilian into the jaws of that lion without sufficient training. No, what you need is a highly skilled, unknown face, who can blend in with the glamor and throw down in the gutter. I don't know anybody besides you who can pull that off" Sousa argues with the British woman.

"I have a terrible idea" Peggy tells him as a lightbulb goes off in her head. He gives her a questioning look to continue. "Dottie Underwood is a trained assassin who can blend in with the crowd"

 "Dottie Underwood is a trained assassin who can blend in with the crowd"

"No, we are not sending her in there alone!"

"Mr Jarvis will be with her" Peggy tries to reason.

"Well that's putting his life at risk as well" Sousa reminds her.

"I might have a friend who can take on Dottie, if need be"

"And whose that? Another assassin who could kill everyone at that party and more"

"I was thinking something along the lines of a former SSR and and howling commando" she further explains.

"I don't think any of the howling commandos are commando enough to blend in at the party" Sousa claims. "And do I need to remind you that we can't trust anyone at the SSR?"

"She's out of the line of duty and has been since the war ended, but she's the best agent I've known and a good friend of mine"

"Fine, call her in" Sousa gives on with a sigh.

———————————————
Question of the day: who is your favourite character from agent Carter?

This chapter is more of a mini, in between chapter so that you can understand what will be happening next. The next few chapters will take place during season two of agent Carter.