𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕.

Y/N's POV

I sigh as I look up at the sky. It's cloudy. I was hoping to soak up some Sun as I looked like a pale vampire, but I guess not today. The cold breeze felt pleasant though.

"You like it up here?"

I turned around to see Reo walking over to Raichi and I. He stood next to us, looking out at the boring view. I was slowly getting along with Raichi much to everyone's relief. I guess pairing him up with me on lookout duty was a good idea.

"Nah. Too much green, don't you think?" I said. I pointed up. "And the sky's always cloudy here."

All of a sudden, in the corner of my eye, I saw some figures in the forest. Raichi must've noticed them too, as he got his gun ready.

"Did you 2 see some zombies?" Reo asked.

"I could've sworn I saw something," Raichi and I answered. I kept a close lookout at where Raichi's gun was pointed. Zombies don't behave like this, so I'm going to guess this is some wild animal in the area.

The 3 of us patiently waited, but any sort of movement from the forest stopped. Did they notice our presence? Are they too scared?

"I think it's just a wild animal," Reo sighed. I relaxed myself a little, believing what the purple-haired said.

At that moment, drops started to fall from the sky. I held my palm out to feel the cool water tap on my hand. The clouds didn't look too dark, so the rain shouldn't become heavy anytime soon.

"It's not good for you 2 to be out when it's raining. Even if it's light, I doubt this rain will stop anytime soon. So come inside before you catch a cold."

"Nah, we're good," Raichi and I said together. We looked at one other unamused and irritated. "Why do you copy everything I say?"

Reo laughed at us. Opening the window to go back inside, he stopped when he heard Raichi's gun move again. "What is it?"

2 teenagers holding hands came out of the forest, running toward us. They were wounded, dirty, and you could tell from just their face that they were lost. The 2 probably had continued running and running since this apocalypse started a few weeks ago. That much I could understand from just one look.

"PLEASE HELP!!" The boy shouted. He and the girl ran to us in the rain, but both of them pathetically tripped when the girl slipped on a puddle.

"Do you see a bite mark on them?" Raichi asked us.

"I can't see much, so I can't give you an answer," I replied.

"WE'RE NOT BIT!!" The girl yelled, mud now covering parts of her legs. "WE'RE JUST 2 HIGH SCHOOL TEENAGERS, TAKAHASHI MAI AND KIRA RYOUSUKE!! SO PLEASE HELP US!!"

It was nearing the end of the afternoon, entering into the evening. Zombies are active during all parts of the day, so they need to keep it down. When they raise their voices like that, they're putting us in danger, too.

"Hey, what's going on?" Nagi ran up to us. When he noticed the 2 teens in the distance, he figured out the whole situation. "Oh no... What should we do?"

"Let's help," Reo said.

"It's too risky. Just leave them -"

"What?! No! Tell them to get up and move! They can meet us at the door and we can take them in! They said they're not bit!" Reo protested back. He and Raichi began glaring at each other because of their opposing opinions.

"They could be lying!"

The girl let out a scream. All 4 of us turned our attention back to the teens lying on the ground. There, we spotted 6 zombies running toward the couple on the ground.

"I knew it," I said. "Despite having the rest of their senses cut off, these zombies have an excellent sense of hearing. It's better than ours for sure."

Nagi sighed, no empathy left on his expression. "Their fate has been decided. They're going to sadly die like this... and we're just going to watch."

"HELL NO!! I'M NOT THAT SELFISH TO LEAVE 2 OTHER SURVIVORS IN THE DARK LIKE THAT!!" Reo rushed down to help the 2 but Nagi immediately grabbed him, pulling him back. "LET ME GO, NAGI!!"

"Calm down and be quiet! Can't you see there's nothing we can do?! They're helpless people who fall down and don't try to get up! They scream when they see danger instead of running! Don't join them, Reo!!"

Reo struggled to free himself from Nagi but it was no use. He gave up shortly after. "I don't wanna see it..."

Turning my attention back to the couple on the ground, they tried to get up and run to our second refuge as the 6 zombies approached them. 4 of these zombies were the zombie type that could run. Agh, they're screwed already.

Not giving up, the couple continued running and running, but it was no use. Mai was clumsy and slipped again, but because they were holding hands, she brought her boyfriend down with her.

I watched as the 2 brutally got attacked and bitten, their flesh being torn off and eaten by the creatures humanity now had to face in order to survive in this reality. They both yelled and screamed in pain as their death neared closer and closer. When one of the zombies ripped open Mai's guts to eat her intestines, I turned my eyes away from the grotesque scene.

Reo looked completely out of it, distressed at the whole situation, while Nagi just stayed quiet, keeping his mouth shut. Raichi continued watching at the disturbing event in front of him, so I smacked his head.

"What's your problem?!" He whispered, but took his eyes off of the incident, understanding why I did what I did. 

Their screams and yells continued, causing the others to come up to the rooftop to check out what was going on, but soon, Kira and Mai's voices faded and it just went silent. All of us were now on the rooftop, most of us looking distressed, others looking sad or wearing an expression you couldn't read.

After a bit, Shidou peeked out at where the couple was, and he winced at the sight. It was horrible, I knew that, but I wanted to see for myself. Standing up, I saw Kira and Mai holding hands as their bodies were disfigured and torn to pieces. Seeing them hold hands even until death made me sad.

The clouds didn't part, but the rain stopped, turning the sky turn a pink-orange color. It didn't match the setting. Settling back inside, I tried to think of something else, attempting to become lost in my imagination like a depressed child who feared the outside world.

AUTHOR'S NOTE ☁️

Shidou and Sae's relationship is um.. interesting