25

Another place, another destination. Jenny and Elijah never stayed longer than two weeks at most places. They were now in Switzerland.

         It was Thanksgiving.

         They had plans but Jenny fell ill. It was just the common cold but she didn't much feel like going anywhere. Instead, they stayed in and she was cozied up next to Elijah with tissue boxes everywhere as they watched a movie.

         She had her buttery popcorn and Elijah was running his fingers through her hair. Her heart didn't beat quickly in his presence, it didn't need to, but it was just rather quietly in love with the shadow of his. The scene was the definition of being content.

          Sure, sometimes, love needed declarations. Yet in other times all it needed was silence and the comfort two people felt sitting in a room together; the quiet adoration filling up the bubble they where in. Love could be so simple and still be beautifully happy.

        ______

         Flashback

         It was just a year ago that everything was normal. Jenna was throwing a Christmas party. Elena brought all her friends and Stefan, Jeremy kept to himself, while she was the cook for the party.

           It was the idea of both Jenna and Jenny. They thought if Elena and Jeremy were surrounded by people during the holidays, the sting of not having their parents might be a little less.

            "Do you think it'll work?" Jenna asked as they spied on the teenagers from the kitchen.

             Jenny analyzed Elena and Jeremy and how they seemed a bit brighter, "It'll work."

          So their plan was enacted and Jenny was stowed away in the kitchen cooking when their uninvited guest made himself known to her. It was Damon. Stefan had brought him along apparently.

           She was putting the finishing touches on the food when he came searching for more alcohol. It was really the first time she was meeting Damon.

            "Bad holiday season?" she questioned as she handed him the bottle of alcohol.

             "More like a bad year," he poured alcohol in his glass before downing it. It had only been a couple of weeks since not finding Katherine in the tomb.

             "Sounds like you could use a friend," she smiled.

             "I don't do friends," he said before smirking as his eyes crawled over her. "I just need a distraction."

          Her lips parted slightly as she blushed at his insinuation before she gained sense, quietly speaking, "Damon Salvatore, that is highly inappropriate."

            He hummed, "But you were thinking about it."

             She shook her head and grabbed the plate of food to take out to the dinner party, "I meant what I said. If you ever need a friend to talk to, a real one...I'm here."

              He mulled over her words before she gestured to the other platter of food, "Can you grab the other one?"

              He nodded and she started to leave the kitchen but she turned back to him, "And Damon...you know, whoever made you feel this bad, they don't deserve you."

             She offered him a soft smile before leaving his sight and for whatever reason it gave him the slightest relief. For the rest of the night, his eyes were on her smile. He didn't even notice until he left that he hadn't even thought of Katherine.