Chapter 10

Today was Thursday, usually today was a work day for me but I see no reason to go in, McKenna is there and she can handle things just fine. On my days off I don't do much, I have, TV but only the basic channels and my DVD player broke so I read or go to the store and when it's warm outside I like going to the park and just lay in the sun. As I walked out of my room I prepared myself to see a disaster in the kitchen, but there was nothing, no pans were out, there weren't any burnt eggs it was completely clean. I heard a grunt then a yawn behind me, I turned my head to see Anthony stretching his arms over his head, his shirt rose up a little exposing his stomach muscles. I looked away not wanting to get caught looking.
"Where's Michael at?" I asked not looking at him.
"He left early this morning, something about seeing a friend about his apartment, I don't know." He said walking past me making sure to brush my arm with his. I looked at the clock confused, it was only 8:45 in the morning that's a little early to start doing errands like that I think.
"So what are we going to do today?" Anthony asked getting himself a bowl. I looked at him confused.
"We? I think you mean you. It's my day off today so I plan on doing what I normally do." I said walking over to the couch picking up my book from the side table and resting on the couch.
"That's all you're doing today? You are just going to read?" He said, it sounded like he was almost mocking me.
"Yes, I am this is how I spend my days off, in a quiet place with a good book." I said opening it to were I left off.
"Well that's boring. I want to do something." He said putting his bowl in the sink.
"I like peace and quiet on my days off." I hope that was the end of the conversation but sadly it wasn't.
"Well that's not going to work for me." He got up and went into the bathroom. I breathed a sigh of relief and absorbed myself into the romance of Knights in shining armor and princesses in beautiful gowns. When I read I detach myself from the rest of the world, it's only my book and I. What only felt like a few minutes but actually 30 minutes I felt the cushion next to me sink in and my book was ripped out of my hands, right at the part were the knight was about to kiss the princess.
"What are you doing?!" To say I was angry would be an understatement, I am furious.
"We are going out, I packed us some snacks and we are leaving this house." I was confused.
"What do you mean we are going out?" I said trying to reach for my book. But he held it over his head making it impossible to reach.
"I mean I packed a picnic basket and we are going to go outside some where and eat it." He then got up, grabbed my car keys, the basket and the blanket and headed out.
"But it's still cold outside!" I yelled after him.
"Bring a jacket." He said over his shoulder. I sat there clenching my jaw, frustrated that he ruined my book and the rest of my day. I grudgingly got up and grabbed my jacket. Anthony was waiting patiently in the car and even smiled or more like smirk at me as I sat down.
"Glad you showed up I was afraid I would be eating by myself." I think he was trying to make me laugh or ease the tension but it didn't work. He started the car and we drove off, I dozed off looking out the window, I saw houses pass by then the city and soon found myself falling asleep. I woke up when I felt the car halt to a stop I opened my eyes to see grassy meadows stretching on for what looked like miles. I sat and looked at the clock, it was past eleven o'clock.
"Where have you taken me? You were driving for over two hours. " I can't believe he took me this far away.
"I thought it would be nice and peaceful." He said.
"Where are we?" I asked.
"I don't really know." I got angry I was about to yell at him when he continued.
"My grandma use to take my sister and I here when we were little. She use to bring us here and we would stay here all day soaking up the sun, talking and eating." He seemed to be lost in a memory.
"She would always bring fresh watermelon slices right from her garden, with a bunch of peanut butter sandwiches." He smiled as if he was tasting the food all over again.
"So I thought it would be nice visiting it again." I would have never taken Anthony as a sentimental type, right now I looked at him in a different light right now he wasn't the army soldier or the cocky smirking idiot, but a sweet caring man with good memories.
"Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's go eat." For the first time he gave a true smile and it was a very handsome and charming smile.
We walked for about five minutes until we came to a lone tree standing on the top of the hill, most of the leaves were a new fresh green, I love spring for this reason everything is turning green and fresh and it's beautiful. Anthony laid down the blanket under the tree that provided exceptional shade and set the basket down then patted the spot next to him signaling me to sit down. I slowly did, I made sure there was plenty of space next to us so we weren't touching.
"So because you didn't have any bread slices I made peanut butter tortillas with fruit on a stick and for the drink the only type of juice you have is mango juice." I couldn't help but feel flattered with the work and effort he put into preparing this for us.
"Wow I didn't realize you were such a cook." I said taking a peanut butter tortilla.
"This isn't cooking, I spread peanuts on a circle and stuck fruit on sticks." He said taking out one of the fruit kabobs and eating a grape off it.
"Still thank you, I appreciate it." After that all we did was eat, there was some small talk but nothing more, we listened to the birds and the wind blowing threw the tree and watching the wind blow over the meadow. It was beautiful and so peaceful. Anthony was laying up against the tree with his arms cushioning his head, his eyes were closed and his ankles crossed. I just looked at him for the first time since he came here I really looked at him. His hair was a charcoal black when it's not wind blown it just falls over his head like there is no effort to do it, his jaw line was sharp his nose looked crooked like it had been broken before, his lips were thin and had a natural pink color to them. He had muscles, that's all his body was, his biceps strained the arms of the shirt his pectorals look wide and hard and his abs were toned. And his hands, I'm sure they are big I wonder what he could do with them, my face burned as the thought crossed my mind, I looked away, I didn't want to feel attracted to him or be thinking those things about him, it was wrong and I didn't want to fall him.