Chapter 43

Esmeray was relieved when Klaus arrived.

"You're here," she breathed when he picked her up, helping her stand on her own.

"I am," he said, caressing her face. "Are you alright, love?"

"I'm fine now," she replied, looking around and seeing Jackson had since left while she'd been recovering. She saw that Rebekah and Hayley both looked fine.

"What happened?" asked the youngest Original, looking around at the mauled bodies. "Don't tell me Esmeray finally got to control her wolf side."

"It was her friend, Jackson," said Hayley. "He came to save us. Those men..."

"I think they were witches," said Esmeray, furrowing her eyebrows. "But they didn't use magic against me. They used physical force. That was a stupid move. Together, they could have overpowered me with their magic. Instead, I made good progress on my own before I was unfortunately taken down."

"What are you saying?" Hayley asked. "Do you think they didn't want to kill you?"

"I don't think they did. They wanted you."

Klaus growled. "The witches were supposed to protect you," he said, looking at Hayley. "When I get my hands on Sophie Deveraux—"

"It wasn't Sophie. It was Agnes."

"Fine! Agnes, Sophie, it's all the same to me! I'll slaughter the lot of them!"

"Not if Elijah gets there first," said Rebekah.

Hayley whirled to face her. "Elijah? Did you find him?"

Rebekah nodded. "He's been in touch, and he has a plan. All he asks is that we take care of you."

That was simple enough. Hayley was unharmed, and the ride back was quiet as both she and Esmeray napped in the backseat, replenishing the rest of their strength. They each took a nice long bath when they were back, and by the next morning, were fueled up enough to speak with Sophie Deveraux, who Klaus conveniently kidnapped.

"We had a deal!" he yelled in her face. "You protect my unborn child, I dismantle Marcel's army. And whilst I've been busy fulfilling my part of the bargain, you allowed Hayley to be attacked and allowed Esmeray to nearly be killed by a gaggle of lunatic witches."

Sophie was frantically trying to prove her innocence. "I had nothing to do with it, I swear. Hayley and I are linked, remember? She dies, I die."

"Who even were they?" asked Esmeray, rubbing her forehead as she slumped back into the couch.

"They're a faction of extremists," Sophie stated. "Sabine stupidly told them about some vision she had about the baby."

The hybrid sat up. "What was the vision?"

Sophie gulped. "She has them all the time," she said as part of her set up. "They are totally open to interpretation. I'm guessing she's wrong on this one."

Klaus scoffed. "Well, how, may I ask, was this particular vision interpreted?"

Sophie pursed her lips. "Pretty much that your baby would bring death to all witches."

Klaus smirked at this. "Ah, well, I grow fonder of this child by the second."

Rebekah rolled her eyes. "Sophie, look— I promised Elijah that I would protect the Mikaelson miracle-baby whilst he tries to win your witch Davina's loyalty. Why don't you tell me just how extreme this faction is?"

"Elijah's talking to Davina?" asked Sophie, bewildered by this news.

"Yeah, as we speak, I imagine."