Chapter 68: The Prowess Of A Husband

Kyra's POV

"What's that, Princess?" Jayden asked again, moving slowly towards me.

His eyes slowly shifted from my panic-stricken face to the box with spilled contents on the floor. The stealth with which he moved made my heart beat even faster and wild thoughts of possibilities of what could be going on in his mind raced through my mind.

Jayden scrunched his eyebrows as he moved closer, probably as surprised as I was by such an anonymous gift. Well, it wasn't exactly anonymous because I was certain of who had sent it. Who else could it have been other than my most recent nightmare, hell bent on ruining my happiness for reasons best known to him.

Jayden's face turned into a deep shade of red in a matter of seconds. I guessed he had seen what was in the box. He was already furious before even hearing what it was about as if he already knew.

I moved backwards until my back hit the edge of the kitchen table. My blood roared in my ears and I felt shivers run down my spine. I didn't know what to do or what to say. I was scared. I was terrified.

I could make up something about the lingerie, but the note was unexplainable. It made it sound as if we had met before in private for reasons that'd deem me unfaithful.

I swallowed hard and looked at Jayden with eyes full of fear and confusion. His eyes were scarier than mine. They were burning with rage.

All those factors just put me on the horns of dilemma. Out of pure nervousness and fear, I kicked the box with my feet under the table. I looked at the floor with the hope that I had made the situation better, but luck wasn't on my side.

I had just made things worse as I had pushed the box and left its contents lying on the floor just behind my feet.

"Jay, calm down." Of all the phrases in my head, that was the only one I could verbalise.

"I am calm otherwise I wouldn't be standing here right now," he replied in a grave tone, confirming my fears. If he was this mad before I even said anything, how would he react to the truth? Would he believe me or treat me like a fool just like Kylie had?

Calm down, Kyra. He's your husband who loves you and trusts you. He would never doubt you.

Jayden and I stood a feet apart. He lifted his eyes and searched for mine which were avoiding his. He put his hand on my chin and lifted my head, making eye contact with me.

"Would I be invading your privacy if I take a look at what that thing is?" Jayden asked me softly.

I swallowed hard and shook my head no. "No," I whispered, feeling butterflies in my stomach.

"Good. Step aside," he ordered. His hand slipped off my face.

"I'll pick it up," I offered, looking at him.

"Don't. You won't touch filthy things. Move aside."

I obeyed him silently and moved aside. Jayden squatted and he picked up the note first. He read it and placed it on the table. He picked up the box and placed it on the table. He picked the lingerie next and stood up, assessing it with critical eyes.

At such a moment, I chose silence over defending myself and saying words that'd probably come out wrong and ruin our entire relationship. He's love for me and his faith in me would decide our fate.

Deep down, I hoped he'd give me a chance to explain. I wanted the chance, but I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to drag him into this mess.

"I know that what the note is suggesting is false, but I want you to say it with your own mouth. I'll only believe what you tell me," Jayden said, paying special attention to the bra.