Chapter 35: Suspicions

After finishing our breakfast, my father immediately spoke.

"Estelia, if you're planning to leave your room, have a personal guard always with you."

Oh? Have they found someone trustworthy?

I nodded my head.

"Vernon," he called out.

Just then, a manservant wearing the usual male uniform came in. He wore clothes resembling a black tailcoat, black pants and shoes. He appeared to be old as his hair and beard had almost turned white. Maybe he was around his early sixties or late fifties?

"Estelia, you might already know him, but he's Vernon Escaleo. He has been serving me for decades, I trust him. You are free to rely on him."

He introduced him to me. Although, I remember him from Estelia's memory.

But this is good. I hope he doesn't obstruct my plans.

"As for fighting abilities, he is excellent and skilled. The most he excels at is unarmed combat, he's going to be a good bodyguard for you," he turned to Vernon. "Vernon, protect my daughter with your life."

Vernon bowed deeply as he spoke.

"Of course, your Majesty. I will sacrifice my life if it comes to it."

An impressive loyalty. I guess this means there was another meatshield now, well, if he held his words deeply in his heart. I still don't understand those who offer everything to their masters. Due to lack of understanding, I can't determine anything concrete about his character or anticipate his actions.

Well, this was also because I don't know much about him. Estelia's memory doesn't tell me much, just that she often sees him beside Father. She didn't know much about his nature.

I spoke to my father.

"So, he would be helping Mera I presume?"

"Yes, you could say that."

Then a sound of a chair being moved rang out. My brother Estevan left his seat, he stopped as he came across Vernon, he smiled at him as he spoke.

"Please, protect my dear sister."

"I will, your highness."

"Good good. Alright then, I'll be leaving, there's a job to do."

My brother left with a wave of his hand.

During all this short time, I was observing Vernon. He didn't seem to look at me suspiciously or anything weird. Nothing worth nothing about. No strange movement, no suspicious gaze whatsoever. It must be that he was just a good actor. However, Father had known him for decades, Vernon was already here a long time ago before Estelia was even born.

Therefore, he must be non-hostile.

Judging on what father described him, Vernon must be some kind of martial artist? Perhaps something close. His arms were quite built, it was possible that he used his arms mostly to fight.

Damn, this is quite impressive, being an old man and still physically strong. Was this a norm in this world? I swear if I see a super strong old man, I'll freak out. Hehe, not much though.

Well, that's really not important right now.

"Thank you ever so much, father," I turned to Vernon. "I will be returning to my room, Vernon... Let's go."

"Yes, your highness."

I left the dining room and there I saw Mera standing on her post. The moment she saw me, she then shifted her eyes towards Vernon. She definitely heard what we were talking about.