Chapter 36: Cake and Cooks

Sometime later, I decided it was time to do some scouting. Before going out, I told Mera to keep what we conversed about a secret.

We went outside the room, and there we saw Vernon on the opposite wall of our room. What a respectful old man, he might convince me he's no traitor at any point! Hehe. That aside, he was just standing there, and he's old, I mean he would get tired after a short while, right...?

"Um, Vernon, I didn't think you would be standing there for a long while. I will need to send a chair for you later," I said with concern.

He merely grinned at my words.

"I appreciate your concern, your highness. But you have no need to trouble yourself. My body is trained more than standing. I can even stand the whole day if I wish to do so."

That's bullshit... right?

No way, he looked serious. This world was strange. Whatever...

"But even so, as you can't enter my room, and you have no station nearby here," indeed, the room nearby, and close to my room were only for maids, not for manservants. Their station was not close around here at all. "I will have a chair delivered and be placed outside my room, just for you to sit on when there is nothing else to do. It worries me to just leave you standing here."

"Hm, if it puts you at ease, I will accept her highness' offer with gratitude."

"That is a relief."

I flashed him a relieved yet sweet smile, how innocent I was.

I began walking, my two servants following behind me. Now then, what was I planning to do?

Something fruitful would be nice. I observed the maids which I went by, I saw nothing worth noting about. Okay, this won't be easy.

That said, if assassination would be the mission of any possible betrayer here, the optimal position would be the kitchen. Poison. However, if that was the case, they could have poisoned the food a long time ago if they plan to kill me.

However, none of that happened whatsoever. It was possible that they were not suspicious characters at all, or they have another plan in mind for the time being.

I think I'll pass by the kitchen for a while.

I headed to the first floor then to the kitchen.

"Milady, do I take it that you wish to enter the kitchen?" Mera asked me.

"Indeed, curiosity struck me as how everything worked here."

"Your highness, it seems that they seemed to be cooking, please be careful," Vernon said.

"Oh? What are they cooking? Let's get a closer look."

I entered with rushed steps as though excited to see what was going on. I saw an oven, of course not like I was used to. This one seems to be made up of bricks.

The cooks were dumbstruck by my sudden visit as evident on their wide eyes and agape mouth.

"Y-Your highness?!" a young man openly expressed his surprise.

He was probably about seventeen. He had light brown hair and brown eyes.

"Idiot! Don't raise your voice," the middle aged man with dark hair and dark eyes chided the young man.

"Bow you two," the young woman with dark red hair and yellow green eyes bowed deeply first. She appeared to be about eighteen.

Then she was followed by the two men.