Chapter 40: I will be the Judge

Around noon, I left my brother on his own to eat lunch. He decided to eat later to finish a part of his work, so I went ahead. Oddly though, I was the only one who ate today during lunch. I was alone on the table.

Both my parents were nowhere to be found. It seems all my family members were busy. I must have looked miserable as I ate with my lonesome on the table, I could tell from the sad looks from some servants along with the weird stares the other few servants were giving me. Furthermore, Mera also appeared to be saddened, as for Vernon though, he looked neutral.

I'm not that miserable.

Although, why does the food feel empty? It felt like... something was missing.

I shook such thoughts off my head. Such irrelevant feelings, I have no time nor the luxury to bask in such absurd emotions.

Still, haven't they even thought that I'd be eating all alone without them...?

Whatever... such thoughts were unfitting of me.

After that, I went to have a little snooping around, then later returned to my room.

Finding infiltrators or betrayers amongst the staff would be difficult unless I interact with them personally. Or, they would act strangely, or some actions that would give them away. However, there were too many and others even looked too insignificant to be noticed, it was difficult. But, this was still the start though, no rush. Besides, I already have a few written on my mental list.

There was one that was close to someone with power. One close to the target. And another plain one but had a dangerous station.

First, Mera Sylvares. Her position would be the most ideal if I were the target, and if she hasn't eliminated me yet, perhaps they had other things in mind. Also, the way she quickly accepted my request of her being my personal maid had begun to bother me.

Second, Allie Jelimis. The way she acted when I arrived at the kitchen and ate with them, was a bit weird. In contrast, about the other two cooks, they didn't bother me that much. The boy was just a boy. And the head chef, I found nothing suspicious yet. More observation is required.

Thirdly, Oryn Iruhen. He was close to my brother. And his actions earlier with me made me suspicious of him, and also some of his reaction. Then his ears. I still need to learn more about him.

However, all in all, this was all still my observations. That still leads to nothing much when determining which one was the traitor. Plus, there was a chance that they were all not the targets I was looking for.

However, those observations of mine will be my stepping stones.

As for the man who my father assigned. I didn't think much of him. He had been serving the king way before my brothers were even born. Thus, he wasn't very suspicious. But more observation is required.

It seems that was all I gathered today.

***

It was finally dinner. I headed to the dining room earlier than usual. The reason was because I needed to have a short talk with my brother. Just as planned, I found him heading to dinner.

"Brother!"

Estevan turned around to me with a smile, though I see some exhaustion evident in his eyes. Hang in there my beloved brother.

I walked towards him.

"You look awful, dear brother."

I said to him with a concerned look.