Prologue

A dragon was flying outside the Hives. He was just stretching his wings, but it felt like more.

Like... this day would change the future.

He circled around, almost lazily, looking at the gazelles below, darting and galloping across the endless savanna. Giraffes looked up from their shrub-bush lunches, trodding steadily away from the dragon city. There was nothing abnormal about today, no oddly shaped clouds, no strange creatures, no trees...

Something flashed in the grass. When the dragon looked closer, it happened again: something was out there, maybe an artifact of some sort, but it was small and hard to make out. He decided to investigate.

The dragon flew closer to the ground, following the flashes, when he came upon... something.

It was an egg, but not SilkWing nor HiveWing. And very clearly not LeafWing. It was a light shade of gray, with a dirty silver-speckled shell almost as hard as metal reflecting the sunlight. The dragonet inside was very heavy, making the smooth egg hard to lift. Whatever tribes' this was, it wasn't known to any history books or elders.

The SilkWing decided to take in the dragonet; whatever parents it had before, they clearly didn't want it. Plus, this could be a revolutionary discovery. The Hive wasn't far away, so the dragon made a harness for the egg out of a few loose vines and savanna grasses and tied the egg to his back. Flying close to the ground, he began back towards the Hive, careful to avoid HiveWing eyes.

He was suddenly aware of the heartbeat inside the egg. Although faint through the smooth, metallic shell, this dragonet had a life and a future waiting for it once it hatched. And now the SilkWing was in control of at least some of that future.

He flew faster.