Eleven

"Where am I?" The boy asks, opening his eyes. Above him is an unfamiliar ceiling.

"Glad to see you're awake." A stranger's voice says.

"Where am I?" The boy repeats, turning his head to look at the stranger.

He sees that's it's a very old man.

"You are in my hunting lodge. Although I'd like to know where you got those wounds." The man replies.

"How did I get here?" The boy asks.

"Don't know. All I know is I came back from my hunt and there you were, sprawled on my sofa. You had a letter with you." The man responds.

"What does it say?" 711 asks the stranger.

"Don't know. I don't make a habit of prying into other people's business." He replies, handing the boy a small piece of paper.

711 decides to read the letter immediately.

"Found you still breathing. Couldn't kill you. Maybe this man will help. Don't bother looking for us. We are far away from the place I put you. Go to Arthur lane in the town of Cardury. Tell the family who lives there that Markus loves them." The letter reads.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what happened to ya?" The stranger asks.

"I can't remember." 711 lies.

"I see. Can you at least remember yer name?" The man asks him.

"I think it's Ethan. Ethan Wilks." The boy lies again. He doesn't remember his real name. But he won't let his brother's name be lost.

"Listen kid, I don't know what happened to ya but it's obvious you got some issues that need fixing. So you can stick with me till you fix them." The man says.

"Thank you. Do you know where the town of Cardury is?" Ethan asks.

"It's where I live. We'll head there tomorrow." The man said.

And so they did. Ethan learnt that the old man's name was Mason.

When they reached to town Ethan asked Mason to stop at the address given on the letter.

Taking a deep breath Ethan knocked on the front door. A few moments later it was opened by a young woman holding a baby. Behind her were two more kids.

"What can I do for ya kid?" The woman asks, giving him a welcome smile.

"Markus wanted me to tell you he loves you very much." Ethan says. He feels his heart pounding in his throat.

As the woman stares at him he sees tears start to flow from her eyes.

"Thanks kid. If you don't mind, I'm gonna go give this little guy a bath." She says, slowly closing the door.

As he walks away, Ethan could hear her weeping.

Over the years Ethan would often go over to play with her children. Out of respect for her he eventually told her everything about the place they had trained him. He would also tell Mason.

Before he knew it, three years had passed. Ethan never made many friends those three years he spent in the Cardury Highschool. But he did excel and would eventually be remembered as the highest achiever in the school's history. Every universe in the province had a scholarship for him and even some universities outside the province.

But Ethan had no interest in further education. Not with every university empty due to the war. The war that started the same year he first came to Cardury.

"Old man, I want to join the war." Ethan told Mason one morning over breakfast.

"I figured you would. You're old enough now. Although I'd love to know, why?" Mason asked him.

"I'm hoping it'll bring me closer to some old friends." He responds.

"So you have some old debts that need payin'." Mason comments.

"Well, I won't stop ya. But I will ask ya for a favour kid." Mason says.

"What?" Ethan asks.

"Come back alive ya hear. I didn't spend three years raisin ya just so you can get killed in some stupid war." Mason explains.

Ethan didn't reply.

Mason drove him to the enlistment office where they said goodbye.

When they hugged goodbye Mason held onto him for a few seconds longer than normal. And then Ethan left for basic training.

As expected, he passed with flying colours. He got the highest scores his training camp had ever seen. Every unit wanted him.

But he chose the unit that wouldn't draw unwanted attention. He did this so that he could continue his investigation in peace. The unit he joined was the squad with Ace, Jules, Keegan, Alice and Grease.

Also, he didn't get what Alice and to do with shooting cards so he asked Keegan. Apparently Alice in Wonderland's greatest enemy is the queen of hearts and her card soldiers. Go figure.

And that's the story of Ethan Wilks. At least, it's the first half of his story. The rest has yet to be written for this young man.