six - simply complex

After finding out about Nathaniel's true reason why he was in Europe having sticky coitus in the streams of the Roman Aqueducts with Katie, Selena went about her routine with keeping Letty safe and cared for.

She tried her best not to feel hurt but every time she held Letty, she couldn't help but feel that a piece of her mate was with the pup in her hands.

While in the packhouse' mess hall. Selena held Letty's hand, training the pup to walk. Letty was already running but only made it a few steps until she fell face flat on the ground.

"Come on, Letty. When your mama and daddy come back, they'll be happy to see you run without someone holding you."

Letty cooed loudly as she ran towards Selena. But in the process, the little girl stumbled on her feet and landed on Selena's lap.

"Woah there!" Selena chuckled. "I know you're still learning how to walk but don't take big steps. Okay?"

She wanted to believe that the pup understood everything she was saying. At this point, Selena needed to convince herself that every single thing in her life was fine and Nathaniel was only a distant thought she was eager to erase.

Around her, the wolves who were staring at her no longer showed their suspicious gaze. They became somewhat adjusted after Selena spent the whole day yesterday showing Letty around. She even met a few wolves who wanted to get to know her. They surrounded her up until the point they realized she was holding the Alpha's niece and they all retreated awkwardly.

The people in pack Morris were either full of respect for Nathaniel or they are completely terrified of him and Selena chose to believe in the latter.

Across the room from where she was, a loud commotion caused her to look to where the sound came from. She watched a crowd of young wolves surround a very familiar wolf, the same gray eyes and sharp nose as her mate's. Though his face was not as mature as Nathaniel, Selena gawked at how many features they shared.

A single glance made Selena's heart race with excitement. He turns to her, eyes wide in a very questioning stare. He excuses himself to the wolves and walked in Selena's direction.

"Selena Highcliff?" He spoke. "Am I blind or just high?"

Selena contained her smile, picking up Letty before she replied.

"Jacob Morris," She says. "How long has it been?"

"Ah...it's almost eight years or a decade if you prefer, if I'm not mistaken, that is. But I see you're still a midget."

She narrowed her eyes on him.

He chuckles.

"I thought you were in college?" She raised a brow.

"I was, but the humans are celebrating their Christmas. Plus, I'm taking a semester off to spend time with my family. College is a cruel witch that I want to get away from."

Selena and Jacob share a laugh. There was a lightness in her heart when she stood near him. His friendly face brought a calming presence. But even if she smiled, she knew deep down that her smiles and laughs were lacking and restrained. Jacob only lifted a small part of her real worry.

He was slightly shorter than Nathaniel and Winston though he was equally good-looking than his older brothers. Jacob smiled toothily, the exhilaration in his gray eyes shining through.

The last time she saw him, she was only twelve years old and years later, Selena couldn't deny that the boy she met only once matured into a good-looking giant that towered over her like a tree of flesh and muscle.