iii. a night out

CHAPTER THREE ── ❛ a night out ❜

☾∘

𝕾ea salt and ocean breeze never truly did agree with Stasiaj Yahontov. The teenager made it her life's mission to try and stay away from the sea, for the rocking motions of a boat never did agree with her stomach, nor did the stench of brine.

The woman huffed as her boat was finally dragged up onto the shore by some guard that she did not have at her beck and call. He was Dime Lion and thus, mainly off limits to her ways. Stasiaj adjusted her mask and cloak, huffing to herself as her heels dug into the soft sand.

She was going to kill Kaz Brekker for this.

It seemed to even think of the devil would summon him to appear for she caught sight of the crow head cane, accompanied by a familiar body, limping towards her.

"You're late."

"It was fashionable," Stasiaj snapped in response, as Kaz bristled at her words. "Let's get this over with, Crow Man, then you can tell me what I want, and I can leave you alone. We can both go back to pretending the other doesn't exist and be on our merry ways."

"That is the plan. Don't mess it up," He scowled, as Stasiaj swept along beside him, looking his companions up and down. "I'm guessing you already know who these are."

"He's one of your loyal crows and she's Nina Zenik. A heartrender," Stasiaj grinned, stepping forward to introduce herself but Kaz shot her another glare. "Touchy. Alright then, I'll play by your rules."

"Who's this?" Stasiaj couldn't truly tell what the heartrender looked like under the veil, but she knew the woman was pretty. She knew everything about everyone and rumors of this particular Grisha had reached her ears a year earlier, when the woman had first arrived.

"This is Snake." Stasiaj chuckled at the spite in his words, finding some joy in that. "Don't talk to her lest you want your secrets revealed."

"No need, I know her secrets already," Stasiaj grinned from beneath her mask. "Stasiaj Yahontov, and as Crow Man said, Snake of the Barrel."

Nina gulped, and turned away from her as they entered the bottom of the prison that rose like stone spears from the stinking river that Stasiaj detested so much. The inside was about as bad as Stasiaj had imagined, if not worse.

Each rock smelt like pain and fear, each howl of the wind could have easily been mistaken for a person screaming in terror and each crack of Kaz's cane on the ground echoed like gunfire in the night. How she despised this place.

Nina was walking behind the pair, a shadow slipping out to join them and Stasiaj barely managed to hide her jump of surprise at the horned mask. It took a moment, but the pieces began to click into place in her head as she turned to face Kaz.