The only safe place to be

After demonstrating how the cleansing unit worked, Bet-khar urged Leanne forward with a gentle but firm hand on her back. She hesitated but he didn't budge.

"Human, how can you be so afraid of water?"

"I'm not afraid!"

"What is it then human?"

"That's a powerful flow of water you've got going on in there. I'm not sure if it's safe for the human body. That thing is like a 'fire hydrant'!

Bet-khar proceeded to touch the water to show her that it was safe. She wasn't convinced but agreed to give it a try. "I need to undress, do you mind stepping outside for a bit?" He gladly hurried out of the confined space but paused abruptly. Without looking back he said "I will be right outside. Be gentle when you press the water switch."

Taking a tentative step forward Leanne closed the sliding door and stared at the strange items surrounding the so-called cleansing unit. She began to undress while Bet-khar remained outside. She could see the outline of his huge frame through the door, but knew he had turned away to give her privacy. "Are you alright human?", he asked. She pressed a spot on the smooth wall to turn on the shower, just the way Bet-khar showed her, but nothing happened. She tried again, still nothing. Frustrated, she slapped the wall and turned away to call for Bet-khar "It is not worki..." her words were interrupted by the raw force of water gushing from a now opened passage on the wall. The massive flow threw Leanne against the opposite side like a cannonball.

The unit's door flew open and within seconds Bet-khar stopped the vengeful attack. He stared down at the human curled up on the floor, fresh bruises now marking her pale skin. She was wet and trembling, and seemed unable to stand up. Apparently, Bet-khar had once again underestimated how frail this human was.

As he looked at her bruised skin, the weight of the situation settled in the pit of Bet-khar's stomach. Old concerns stirred in the depths of his thoughts. He was now responsible for a youngling... no, a female youngling. He never thought about having offspring before. The responsibility to procreate fell under his oldest brother, Zahraun. Being the youngest of the five males, Bet-khar would not have to worry about having offspring of his own any time soon.

Be that as it may, he had no choice but learn how to care for the fragile creature he brought onboard. If he failed, she could die.

He bent down and gathered the human into his arms for the second time that day, "What am I going to do with you human?" Leanne didn't reply or look up at him. Instead, she placed her hands on his wide shoulder for support and buried her face in the crook of his neck. She was naked, embarrassed, and hurt. The pain in her back and muscles were much greater than her pride, so she welcomed his warm embrace. On this unknown new  journey, he was the only safe place to be.