Chapter One: The Start of Something New

***********************My mother pulls into East High, and parks the silver coupe next to a mint VW Beetle, where a petite woman is watching the last dance number in High School Musical

My mother pulls into East High, and parks the silver coupe next to a mint VW Beetle, where a petite woman is watching the last dance number in High School Musical.

"I'm just saying," Mom rants, putting the car in park, "You've been gone all summer, you could have finally had a wardrobe change for Junior year."

"It wouldn't feel right, Mom." I protest—my same nonchalant one from five minutes ago when the rant began—with my chin in the palm of my hand as I gaze out the window.

"And a natural hair color," She ignored me and kept making—slightly passive aggressive—suggestions and encouragements because she dislikes my style.

"Love you," My sarcastic, sing-song tone only highlighted how artificial the joy in it was, as I grabbed my backpack before attempting to immediately depart.

I was barely able to get the passenger door open before it was forcefully shut by two boys, who were not paying attention while on their skateboards.

"Our bad!" The red-headed boy shouted at me, as his friend shouted an apology to the lady in the VW Beetle.

I wave it off and huff in annoyance, leaning back in my seat, before pretending not to notice when the woman in the VW Beetle's skirt got trapped in the car door, after letting her leave first.

My mother's attention, however, was still on me. Her narrowed eyes analyzed my posture, and there was a moment before she spoke—as if to firmly and sarcastically say "Of course,".

"And now you're slouching?"

"Okay, bye, Mom!" I dismiss with phony politeness—but the sarcasm prevailed once again. I then rushed into East High.

After stepping inside, I take off my jacket, since I only wore it to cover the top that my mother would forbid me from wearing if she saw it.

Ashlyn, my close friend, emerges from the sea of students, "B!" She beams.

"Ash?" I question, bringing her into my embrace.

"So," She starts, linking our arms as we walk together, "How was summer in Washington with your dad? Any new acting tips?"

"It was nice," I huff out, reminiscing, "No acting tips, just phone-less, like it always is."

She nods in understanding, "It's gotta be nice sometimes, though."

"It was," I confirm, nodding, "Any time with my dad is."

As we halt our steps upon approaching her locker, I continue talking:

"Especially after all that drama." referring to my and EJ's breakup. I rolled my eyes and flicked my hand dismissively, as if waving away the memory.

"Yeah.." She sympathetically trails.