Chapter 45

Esmeray never knew such bliss.

They'd been relaxing for several weeks, laying low and spending time with one another in the house. Hayley was starting to show, and Esmeray found herself fascinated with her baby bump. Elijah and Rebekah were enjoyable people to spend time with whenever Esmeray wasn't listening to Klaus as he finally started ranting to her about his worries.

They hadn't been intimate again— they didn't need to. They felt whole this way. The full moon had come and gone and though Esmeray had been exhausted all the same, there was a greater sense of peace in knowing that Klaus had come to the Bayou with her and remained by her side, in his wolf form, to bring her comfort.

"Elijah," said Rebekah suspiciously one morning when she walked in on them all reading together. "What are you doing with Mother's spellbook?"

The eldest Mikaelson looked up from the pages. "Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire. To help her learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little Unlinking Spell."

"Hold on," said Esmeray, holding her hand up. "If you wanted a spell done, why not just tell me? All you need to do is bring me Sophie, and I'll do it."

"Sophie brought us here under false pretenses," mused Elijah. "She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions, she wants to take Davina back. So, she yolked her own cause to ours with magic, threats, and half-truths. Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void."

"I still don't see what this has to do with having Davina do the spell instead."

"It is because of my promise to her that I am giving her this task in order for her to practice."

"Elijah, how can you ensure she'll do it?" Esmeray set her own book down. "I'm confused about why you said nothing for several weeks."

"Well, considering you have hardly left my brother's side, I thought it best to not disturb you," said Elijah, making Klaus smirk, but Esmeray look appalled.

"My magic is stronger than hers," said Esmeray pointedly.

"And she has more control over hers."

"And what about it?"

"If you cannot control it, and if you cannot use Ancestral Magic, what hope do we have of the link being broken safely? Let this simply be a test of Davina's power. I only want what's best for Hayley, don't you?"

Esmeray was clearly offended, but she didn't voice it.

"Stupid Elijah," she muttered to Rebekah when the two brothers had gone to give Davina the spellbook, and Hayley was in the shower. "Does he think I'm gonna risk hurting Hayley? He mentioned me sleeping with Klaus for a reason. He doesn't think he can trust me anymore."

"Nonsense, all my brothers hold you in great esteem," said Rebekah. "He's just so head over heels that he needs to impress her by making it seem that he wants to help that other little witch. It doesn't mean he thinks you're incompetent."

"I just don't get it. Why not say anything before? I didn't remove the link because Hayley said she was staying, and since we hadn't discussed anything, I expected they were going to let Sophie live until the baby was born. If Elijah was really so concerned with helping Davina and removing the link, he would have done it sooner."

"So what, do you think my brother is hiding something?"

"I don't know. There was all this talk before about me taking Davina under my wing and teaching her magic and now, nothing."