Chapter 41

Disclaimer: NO smut in this chapter, lovelies. ♥️

Hate is a big word. A very disturbing yet consuming sort of emotion that you don't just feel in your head. It takes up your entire body. You may not be able to think straight.

Right now, for instance- I'm ready to wreak fucking havoc as I walk up to two of the bitches that made my teenage years even more unbearable than they already were.

You see, when feeling pure hatred and anger blistering through your system, it means a big part of your brains has been consumed by the common sense of rage, which also makes the part of the brain that makes the rational and logical life decisions for you- the thinking part... shuts down. So when people say they can't think clearly while ready to rip somebodies hair out of their heads, they literally can't think clearly. Your brain just doesn't allow for any more room in there for you to be sensible in that moment. That's why you might say hurtful things in the bliss of the moment that you might regret later on when the emotion has bubbled down. It all just comes down to your brain dramatizing everything- which causes you to view the situation much worse than it actually is.

Right now, though, I don't care.

I halt a few steps away and nudge Nara next to me to do the same. I just want to listen to what they've gotta say for a second.

''Yeah, no, totally. I don't really do these girly drinks, like, ever. Just get me some Bud light, amiright?'' What I recognize to be Elena giggles, brushing a hand over Kayden's bicep while she does.

''I do!'' Elise chirps, perking up. ''Joshy, will you get me one?''

Nara feigns a gag beside me and I roll my eyes. This really is gag-worthy, Jesus Christ. I'd nearly forgotten how she'd been lusting after Joshua since sophomore year. Though I'm sure Nara recalls it all too lucidly.

''As tempting as that sounds,'' Joshua gives Kayden a look that makes clear it doesn't sound tempting at all. ''We have to go back to our dates.''

''Yeah, this Paloma is watering down so...'' Kayden counters, bringing a smile to my lips. He looks like he wants to make a run for it.

''You guys brought dates?'' Elena blinks innocuously. As if she didn't see us walk in hand in hand.

''We're actually the plus ones so technically we are brought by our dates.'' Joshua chuckles and Elise's face falls. I love how we're just a few feet away and they're so consumed by the hot, suited men, that they have no clue of their surroundings.

As if Kayden can feel my presence like a smoldering draw to the side of his body, his face lifts and our eyes meet. He smiles apologetically, looking like he cannot get to me fast enough.

''Oh yeah?'' Elena nearly wails, her tone a far cry from the fake, sweetened one she had taken on. She sounds irritated. I would be too if I was trying to get into the pants of the hottest men attending this wedding and they looked like they wanted to dip asap. ''And where are your so called dates?''' she practically spits. ''They just left y'all hanging in the middle of the party?''

It's actually been a couple of hours but I imagine it being hard to affiliate time when you're on antidepressants.

I link an arm through Nara's and we step forward just as Kayden holds up my drink in his hand to tell her they'd gone to get us cocktails from the open bar.

''We're right here.''

Four heads turn in our direction. Kayden, my friendly man, smiles as warmly as ever and the side of Joshua's lips jerk up, long expecting this. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum scowls deepen as a bit of shock and recognition morphs their features.