Falling

Simon and Asher had spent the day together, and though Simon was more comfortable, Asher still made him nervous. Simon never adapted well to new people entering his life, but he wanted to. Having friends was important, and Simon struggled to grow in closeness with others. Of course, there was also Shea, whom Simon had clicked with instantly, in a twist of the ordinary. Simon wasn't sure why he'd trusted Shea so quickly, especially since Shea was clearly beneath his trust. It was a warning in some ways, be kind, but not too kind. Be welcoming but not too welcoming. Simon's head hurt from all the double standards. How was he supposed to invite Asher into his life, so soon after Shea had trashed his invitation? If Simon couldn't trust Shea, but thought he could, he certainly shouldn't trust Asher who made him uncomfortable. Still, there was a complex fascination to Asher, he frightened Simon, but Simon would be remiss to forget how much he enjoyed the other boy's company.

In the warm afternoon sun, Simon stepped from the school onto the pavement, making his way out towards the parking lot. It was an autumn day, but sunny and bright. The wind was barely in existence, but leaves still lazily drifted when gravity pulled to heavily at their lengths. It made Simon want to wait a moment, before grabbing his bike and riding home. Usually Simon had to wait for his brother; he always had to wait for his brother, but Liam had practice and would be really late, so he opted to use his bike. Besides, he enjoyed the time outside.

     An unexpected gust of wind whipped into Simon's cheek, and he turned around to see Asher stepping from the building surrounded by a few friends. Asher looked up after a moment, and made eye contact with Simon, then he smiled broadly waved.

Simon hesitated only a second, then waved in response. Asher took this as an invitation, and bid farewell to his friends, before making his way back over to Simon. The small boy turned to see if his brother was in sight, and saw that he was not.

"Hey." Asher walked up with a bright smile on his face.

"Hi." Simon looked down at his feet, and rolled up on his heels.

"So... what's up?" Asher asked after a moment of awkward waiting. His hair hung limp in his eyes, and he fiddled with it as he waited for Simon to respond. He was on his way to football, but he wanted to stop for a moment, just to be sure that everything was still alright.

"Nothing.." Simon said plainly. "What's up with you?" Simon attempted. Talking to strangers aggravated his nerves, and he pushed his textbook closer into his chest. The quad sat tucked between the two buildings with a few sidewalk strips, and grass openings.

"Are you doing anything after school?" Asher asked, trying to prolong the doomed conversation.

"No."

"Oh. I've got football in a couple of minutes, and I'll have to go change soon." He replied sheepishly. Simon looked up at him blankly. "I've still got time though." Asher stepped forward, and Simon stepped back, closer to the edge of the side walk. "I don't bite."

     "Sorry." Simon smiled sheepishly, but made no move to close the gab between them.

     "Are you alright, Simon?" Asher asked.

     "I am. I just have to-" Simon began and took another step back, but he was standing on the edge of the sidewalk, and lost his footing.

     "Woah." Asher reached out to grab Simon's arms to steady him, "Careful. Cant have you getting hurt, can we?"

"Yes... No. I'm..." Simon tried to find the right words to say but came up with nothing. Truthfully he had no idea how to respond to that and was horribly embarrassed that he had almost fallen in front of Asher. "I'm sorry, I need to go.. Ha-Have a nice practice."

"Alright.. I uh" Asher began. "Goodbye then?"

"Yes, Goodbye." Simon shouted, already turned around and walking to his. He was glad that nobody else seemed to have seen what had happened. Still he worried Asher would think he was clumsy, or that he hadn't wanted to be around him. Which he hadn't... but also had. Simon wasn't quite sure what he wanted when it came to Asher. He'd wanted to move away, just as much as he'd wanted to move closer. Asher made him feel strange, in a way Shea never had, and it always left him feeling confused.

     Simon sighed and hopped on his bike. It was a nice day still, and he was glad to have the ride home to decompress before having to see his older brother, Liam.

.....

Asher's equipment sat scattered around him as he shrugged the first bits of armor on. His mind drifted to Simon; the small boy was hard to talk to, but it only made Asher want to spend more time with him. He had seen how Simon would open up when surrounded by those he knew well, and wanted desperately to be one of the people that Simon felt comfortable around. He just wasn't there yet, and he had to keep reminding himself that was okay. Relationships took time, just usually not for Asher.

"What's messing with you?" Garrett asked, and Asher looked up from his shoes, he had been trying to put on the wrong feet.

"Nothing." Asher insisted switching the shoes. He was used to getting whatever he wanted, and having to work for things was throwing him off of his game.

"Come on, who is she?" Garrett asked, and Asher's face paled. He hadn't even thought of how his frustration to Simon might be similar to that of the frustration he'd usually have over a girl. Garrett automatically assuming that Asher was in love, made him uncomfortable. Shea looked up briefly from across the room, but lowered his eyes before meeting either player. "I'm sure there's nobody you couldn't get." Garrett patted Asher's shoulder.

"You'd be surprised." He mumbled in response.