21| For Real?

Nora

Nicole came over for dinner. She was a beautiful young lady with the right sense of humour and a witty mind. She shared most of her characteristics with her brother, and while they both were different people, she looked and sounded so much like Nicolas. She was his family, and I couldn't be happier we got along so well. Nicolas loved seeing us together. He didn't say it, but I could see it on his face. 

The next morning was the same like always. Nicolas got up before I did. We showered together and he made me breakfast. I was cutting through my pancake, looking up at him as he typed on his laptop. I was dressed for work, while he looked like he had no intention of leaving the house.

"You're lucky." I'd said. "You don't need to be at the office everyday."

"You won't as well if you work for me." He'd simply said, effectively shutting me up.

Nicolas was a powerful man. He was used to being in control all the time, and I could tell my disagreement with his proposal was something he didn't like. I appreciated him not pushing me further. Even though he made subtle statements, he respected my boundaries. He was trying so much to make this work, I loved that.

I brought up the topic of Lydia's wedding at the breakfast table. He stopped typing and shut down his laptop, turning to look at me. "Benjamin and Matthew will accompany you."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "At the party? No."

"Yes."

"No." I fumed. "You can't just-"

"I can, and I will." Nicolas stated, folding his arms on his chest. His expression was firm and calm, telling me he wouldn't budge.

"It's a fucking bachelorette party, Nicolas!" I snapped. "I can't have bodyguards lurking around me everywhere."

"Yes you-" 

"Fucking listen to me. That day is for my best friend, okay? She is going to be the spotlight. I understand you're concerned about my security, but sometimes you have to let go, Nico. Everything is not in your control."

He narrowed his eyes at me, then sighed and looked away. "When you stop fighting back and talk like that, it takes everything in me to not kiss you."

I smiled. "You can kiss me whenever you want. You be at my beck and call, I be at your beck and call. Remember?"

Nicolas took a step in my direction and grinned. "I don't remember establishing that. But that sounds perfect."

I held onto his shoulders when he pulled me forward, resting his chin on my head. His fingers played with my hair almost absentmindedly. I buried my face in shirt, inhaling his familiar scent and humming in delight. "You mean more to me than I could ever tell you." I whispered.

He glanced down at me with a fiercely protective look in his eyes. "There is nothing in this entire goddamn world that I won't do for you, Nora."

My chest constricted, heart fluttering dangerously in my chest. He bent down to press a hard kiss to my mouth as I stood on my toes. When his phone rang, he pulled away.

"Reid." His eyes narrowed at whatever was said on the other side. He looked at me and mouthed, "I'm sorry."

My face broke into a smile as I shook my head, standing on my toes to kiss is cheek. I grabbed my purse from the counter and walked towards the front door. I looked back one last time to find his intense gaze already on me. His lips were moving, but I was too mesmerised in his eyes. So blue, so beautiful. I shook myself out of the daze and walked out.