Ch. 02: Introductions again

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 02: Introductions again, April 28, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved)

[(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were made at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 2: Introductions again

Adjusting his formal crisply starched dress shirt collar—with the collar points nearly looking like tusks jutting out from his jaw with a neatly tied bow between that is his cravat--the handsome Lord Edward Carlisle [(2) above] scans the ballroom Friday night at the start of the London Season marriage mart for someone to ask to dance--and maybe to marry. It is the first ball of the season and he would like to find a wife soon and be done with the matter.

Then Lord Edward is jolted out of his reverie by a swift slap to his broad shoulders as his lifelong very good friend Lord Kittredge Wells joins him. They have known each other since they were green boys just starting at Eton, through their adolescence, and randy university days, into their prime. Lord Kittredge is the same age as Lord Edward, at five and thirty—though Lord Kitt as he is familiarly known to his friends, has not has not had to worry about marrying, him being a second son, etc.

Lord Kittredge: "Edward, your prune faced looks will not attract the fairer sex who might be in consideration for the post of the future Lady Carlisle." Lord Kittredge Wells admonishes with a decidedly flourishing wave of his hand.

Lord Edward: Turning to his childhood friend, he replies incredulously. "No, Lord Wells? Then my apple cheeked grin will surely shoo them away, as well." The two men embrace warmly--with manly pats on their shoulders--as lifelong friends. Then Edward admonishes his friend bemusedly. "Kitt, you are the last man on Earth to give me courting advice."

Lord Edward stares down his rather well turned out friend Lord Kittredge [(3) above] who is wearing the appropriately elegantly restrained attire of a gentleman, for once. Though Lord Kittredge usually sports some whimsical element in his attire, be it a boldly hued cravat or waistcoat, or an ornament on his watch fob, etc. Lord Kittredge's sense of men's and ladies' fashions is unequaled, but they are not necessarily to Lord Edward's more austere tastes.

Lord Kittredge: "Do not devil me tonight, Edward. Or I will refrain from making introductions for you to a lady whom might just fill your...uh ...requirements for a wife--and one who will overlook your less pleasing attributes."

Lord Edward: "Now, Kitt. You make this lady sound as if her lack of discernment is a sterling quality."

Lord Kittredge: "Oh she is discerning. Too much so, if you ask me." He nods.

Lord Edward: "To what degree is the lady too discerning? Does she flirt and tease gentlemen  only to refuse their offers of marriage?" Edward ponders this point since his late wife had been of this ilk.

Lord Kittredge: "No, no. And I do not believe that the lady has received any offers to date."

Lord Edward: "Then what is wrong with her?" Edward looks askance at his friend and his matchmaking skills.