Chapter 39: Heart Pounding

"You're all she ever thinks about."

Y/N released a sigh as she remembered her confrontation with Nami. She didn't get enough sleep and Nami's broken words replayed on her mind all night.

Nami's bittersweet relationship with Kana is causing Y/N a hell lot of stress. And frankly, she just wished that Nami and Kana end up together so she won't get dragged into their troubles.

It didn't help that Rui is also causing Y/N some stress. The boy attended class today but somehow, Y/N could feel that he is sort of avoiding her. Rui still acknowledges her but Y/N's gut feelings tells her that something is wrong with Rui. And Y/N is determined to find out what that is. She doesn't need her friendly relationship with Rui to get strained and awkward.

"Hey Rui!"

Y/N called out and headed towards the boy's direction. Rui stopped in his tracks and turned to face Y/N.

"Hey, Y/N...."

"Are you grabbing some snacks?" Y/N asked as she pointed to the cafeteria.

Rui sheepishly smiled and placed a hand on his neck.

"Yeah. I was thinking of grabbing a few burgers and all."

"Ah, I see.." Y/N contemplated for a bit. "By the way, did you settle the emergency you had? You know, the one where you had to leave early?"

"That's...." Rui released a sigh. "It's fine. I just had to meet up with my dad."

"Don't just disappear without warning, okay?" replied Y/N as she playfully punched the boy's shoulder.

"Haha. Yeah.." Rui grinned lightly before diverting his gaze.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, you're kind of acting weird.." Y/N said uneasily.

"Weird? How am I weird?" chuckled Rui.

"I dunno.." Y/N was skeptical. "You just seem.. off."

When Rui just stared at Y/N, the latter continued in exasperation.

"It's like you are avoiding me and I don't know why."

"Look, Y/N. It's just.." Rui sighed heavily this time. "It's nothing okay?"

"So there is indeed a problem!" Y/N pointed accusingly at Rui. "I was right when I felt like you were avoiding me."

Y/N touched Rui's arm and stared pleadingly at the boy.

"Please tell me what's wrong. I don't want us to get awkward or anything.. I'd rather have you acting annoying than get weird with me.."

Rui bit the inside of his cheeks and contemplated on telling the truth. After a while, he decided on telling Y/N the thought that is bothering him.

"All right. But can we talk somewhere less crowded?" said Rui while scanning the bustling cafeteria.

Y/N raised a brow in surprise but nodded nonetheless at the suggestion. She and Rui reached the back of the old school building where the noise and chattering of students slowly died down.

"So..." Y/N started and smiled awkwardly. "Mind telling me what I did wrong to you? If ever I did do something?"

Rui stared at Y/N and opened his mouth to reply. Whenever he would find the courage to voice his thoughts, he would decide on closing his mouth at the last minute.

"Come on, is it that bad that it nearly got you speechless?" Y/N released an uneasy laugh. Rui's unusual behavior made her feel slightly nervous.

"I.. I don't know how to ask you this in any other way.." Rui inhaled then exhaled to calm his nerves. "But.. all right."

Locking his eyes with Y/N, Rui asked the question which made Y/N's heart pound rapidly.

"Are you hooking up with Aki-senpai?"

- End of Chapter -