Chapter 41: Rui's advice

Presentation day for the Pair project arrived. Y/N shook her hands to ease the nervousness in her system. She glanced at Rui beside her, who was focusing on the current presentors in front of the class.

Y/N remembered the conversation she had with Rui and how she passed out afterwards. Not to mention, the fact that Rui now knew the secrets between her and Aki. She doesn't know how to act normally with Rui. Thankfully, the boy didn't pressure her for another confontration.

"Y/N." Rui's voice cut Y/N from her musings. "Are you okay?"

"Eh? I'm fine." replied Y/N shakily. Rui noticed the girl's turmoil and he released a sigh at this.

"Y/N, let's.. let's focus on our project right now. We'll leave the stressful talk after we ace our presentation." Rui gave off an encouraging smile to lift Y/N's spirits. This is also to ease Y/N's worries so that she won't act awkward around him.

Y/N timidly nodded and smiled at Rui in return.

"You're right, Rui.. I'm sorry if I'm being a downer."

"Nah. Don't mind it." grinned Rui.

The class gave a round of applause for the presentors. Nami and Kana presented next and the two girls reported their project efficiently. Kana's dedication showed on the way she explained things and Nami added a few pointers to enhance their presentation. Even though Nami was still emotional after her heart break, she managed to maintain a front and keep herself intact for their project.

"We're next." Rui said after the chorus of claps. "Let's do this, Y/N."

Y/N mirrored Rui's hyped smile as they proceeded to walk in front of the class.
______________________________________

"Oh yeah! I'm pretty sure we got a high remark on that!" Rui cheerfully said. He and Y/N were on their way to the school gates to return home.

"Yeah, we bet." Y/N smiled but it was quickly replaced with a melancholic look.

"Hey, Rui..."

"Hm?" Rui curiously glanced behind him once he noticed that Y/N stopped walking.

"About our previous conversation..." Y/N bit her lip. "I'm.. I'm really..."

"Y/N!" Rui was quick to decrease the distance he had with Y/N, and he took a hold of the girl's shoulders. Y/N blinked in surprise at this.

"Whatever that is, it's fine."

"B-But-

"I'm telling you, it's fine." Rui grinned in encouragement. "Whatever stuff I learn about you, as long as it isn't deadly and psychopathic like, I don't mind."

Rui patted Y/N's head.

"It won't change how I view about you. You're still my close friend, and I won't think badly of you."

"Rui.." Y/N's lips trembled. "Thank you.."

"Hey hey hey. Don't cry on me now." Rui feigned a gasp. There's no need to get so emotional about this."

The boy winked in mischief.

"Your secret is safe with me. And Aki-senpai's too.."

Y/N released a sigh and wiped away her unshed tears.

"I'm just thankful that you aren't judging me or anything."

Rui smiled in sympathy at Y/N.

"Of course.. but Y/N, you do know that this relationship.. or whatever you have going on with Aki-senpai is tricky.. right?"

Y/N wordlessly nodded

"And I might be a little tolerant about your situation.. but I'm afraid other people won't be that nice on their words." Rui smiled sadly. "That's why, you need to be really determined whether what you have with Aki-senpai is real or not. Are you strong enough to fight against the odds?"

Rui took Y/N's silence as a sign of contemplation.

"Y/N.. do you love Aki-senpai?"

"I....." Y/N opened her mouth to reply but no words came out.

"Make sure that the relationship isn't just about lust or anything related to that. Is it really love? Or is it just the thrill?.. If it's the latter, then it's better if you just stop." Rui added.

The two parted ways and Rui took a final glance at Y/N's retreating back.

"I hope the choices you make won't fill you with regrets, Y/N. Because if that happens, I'll be deeply saddened too. More than how I'm feeling right now..."

-End of Chapter -