Chapter 42: Mother's identity

"Morning mom." greeted Aki while releasing a small yawn.

"You're up early today, Aki." spoke the woman while sipping her coffee. "And that aside, what's with that outfit?"

Aki was wearing a sexy negligee with the straps falling loosely on her arm.

"I suddenly got hungry so I woke up earlier than usual." Aki cheerfully grinned. "And this, we're inside the house so it's okay if I wear this."

"You will catch a cold like that." responded the woman as she eyed Aki rummage through the fridge. She then asked another question based on what she noticed.

"Aki.. Didn't you just come from Y/N's room?"

"Eeh?!"

Aki was slightly startled and she didn't expect her mother to notice. She indeed spent the night at Y/N's to do this and that. The words from a certain Moriya-san irked Aki so she wasted no time in showing Y/N her love.. both the romantic and sexual kind.

"A-Ah, you see. Y/N told me that she was lonely so I just took a nap with her." Aki forced a chuckle. "I wonder how long she intends doing this. I mean she's already grown up after all. Haha."

The woman didn't respond and just stared at Aki.

"It's alright. We're siblings afterall, aren't we? 😅 "

"Well I guess..." The woman dismissed as she turned back to her newspaper. Aki breathed out in relief and was glad her mother didn't suspect anything.

"Y/N is really responsible, isn't she?"

"Yes." Aki smiled. "She does most of the household chores here."

"Hmm." The woman nodded and after a while, her voice turned apologetic.

"Sorry, Aki."

"Eh?"

"I don't really fulfill my duty as your mother..... I can't cook nor clean and can't even do laundry.."

The woman diverted her gaze.

"Not only that... Actually, I don't really know anything about housework at all."

"Mom..." Aki looked at the woman in concern.

The door to Nami's room opened and both girls looked at the newcomer.

"Good morning Nami." greeted Aki. Nami hummed in response before heading to the bathroom. She also gave a quick greeting to their mother sitting on the chair.

"She looks troubled."

"Nami is...." Aki sighed. "Her moods can get worse sometimes.."

"Was she always like this?" wondered the woman.

"Not really. Y/N and I keep up with her temper though. There might be personal problems she is facing right now." mused Aki.

The woman stared at the closed door as she thought deeply. Afterwards, she resumed on reading the morning news."
______________________________________

"What are you doing here, mom?" Nami asked with furrowed brows to the woman beside her. She and her mom were laying on the bed. Nami is using her mom's arm as a pillow.

"I can't spend time with my daughter?"

"Um, mom.. I'm not a little kid anymore." Nami thought that their situation is awkward, and she wasn't in the mood for cuddles.

"Still, it's been a long time since I've spent time with you and your siblings." replied the woman while gazing at the ceiling. Nami went silent at this and didn't bother arguing.

"As I thought, there's no way that this would fix my relationship with them.. to do this after all this years, is pretty much pointless.." mused the woman.

"Mom..." Nami's gaze flitted to her mother's arm then to her face.

"Hm?" The woman shifted her gaze to Nami.

"Do you remember that Christmas day?"

"............................"

The woman thought for a moment.

"That was a long time ago. I can't remember the specific events."

" I see.." Nami pursed her lips and turned her back towards the woman. "You have changed, mom."

"Everybody changes after some time." concluded the woman. "Well, time to sleep."

"Yeah.." Nami was in deep thought. "Good night."

After Nami fell asleep, the woman left the room. She went to the veranda where she and Aki had a late night talk.

"I'm really bad on being a mother."

"Don't say that, mom. Your presence is already enough. Just by you spending time with us, makes us happy." Aki assured.

"I see..." the woman tucked her hands in her coat as she felt the night breeze flowing.

"Aki, what exactly does Nami mean by 'that' Christmas day?"

Aki pondered on the words. After a while, she started narrating an event.

"Back then, Nami usually helped mom with the house chores. She and Y/N would assist mom on the tasks. But that Christmas Night..."

Aki looked up at the sky.

"Nami was helping mom with the cooking. There was an accident and Mom had to save her from getting burned."

The woman's eyes widened. Aki raised her arm and pointed to a certain spot.

"On her left arm.. Mom got herself a scar from a burn around here.."

The woman remembered Nami glancing at her arm earlier.

"Since then, Nami avoided any house chores, especially cooking. That incident really left an impression on her."

The woman sighed faintly as her eyes mirrored a look of sadness.

"Aki.. Seems like it's no use.. I can't really be your mother..."

Aki's lips formed into a thin line as her eyes held a troubled look.

"And we can't keep this a secret from them forever.."

- End of Chapter -