Chapter 43: Guilt

- Flashback - Aki at 10 years old

"Mom, will you arrive early today?" Aki asked with a pout as she clutched the phone on her hand.

"I'll try to, Aki. But I'm afraid I will have to spend a couple more hours at work."

"But Mom..."

*(Thunder flashes)*

The sound from the sky startled Aki and she involuntarily jumped from her position.

"Aki, are you all right?" asked the woman in concern.

"Yes I'm fine..." Aki watched from the window as the rain started to fall. "Mom, is it also raining in there?"

"Yes, it's also raining heavily here." The woman adjusted the blinds from her office window. "Anyways, make sure to watch over your siblings for me, okay?"

"Yes, mom.." Aki spoke the next words in a timid and hopeful voice. "Mom, you'll be home this evening, right? Though you will be late, I was hoping that you'll share the muffin cake me, Y/N, and Nami prepared."

The woman left out a chuckle. She pictured Aki and the others buying a dozen muffins from the store and stacking it together.

"Of course. It's your birthday, Aki. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world." replied the woman warmly. "So make sure to save the muffin cake for when I get home, okay?"

"Hai!" Aki cheerfully exclaimed. "I'll tell Nami to wait before she eats a single piece of it."

"Good good." The woman prepared to hang up the phone. "I need to get back to work, Aki. Be a good girl and look after your siblings, okay? And take care of yourself too."

"Yes mom."

"I'm hanging up. Bye Aki."

Aki bid goodbye and she placed the phone back on the stand. A smile appeared on her face as she waited for their mother's return. Little did she know, their mother won't be coming home that night..."

-End of Flashback -

Aki woke up panting. Sweat formed on her forehead as she dreamed of the incident from the past. She ducked her head low as she massaged her temples.

"Mom......" Unknowingly, a single tear escaped from her eye as she recalled the bitter memory.

"I'm sorry.. I'm sorry Mom.. If it wasn't for me.." Aki's shoulders shook and she broke into sobs. "If I wasn't such an annoying brat before, you would still be here with us.."

Aki closed her eyes to stop her tears from falling. News of her mother's car crash played on her mind on repeat, and the memory of it only intensified the guilt she had been carrying all along.

"I'm sorry...."

- End of Chapter -