Chapter 44: Twin

"Y/N, what's wrong? You've been spacing out."

Aki went to sit next to Y/N on the bench. They stopped by on a shop to buy some ingredients before they go home.

"Ah, Aki-nee." Y/N accepted the soda can handed by Aki. "It's nothing. I was just thinking.."

"About?"

"Mom is gone for a week again, right?"

Aki nodded in response. She got a call from the woman saying that she needed to attend something at work.

"Do you need to tell her something?" Aki fished out her phone. "We can call her."

"No, it's nothing.." Y/N sheepishly said. She then casted her gaze forward and a solemn look crossed her features.

"Mom is rarely home nowadays, huh..."

"It can't be helped." Aki released a faint sigh. "She is extremely busy at work."

"Mmm." Y/N swings her feet alternately as she looked up. "Ever since we moved to our new home, Mom got busier at work. I can't help but notice that she changed quite a bit...."

Aki snapped her gaze to Y/N this time.

"It's like.. she became a bit distant.." Y/N casted her gaze on the ground.

"Nevertheless, Mom will always be mom.. right?" Aki said in assurance.

"I suppose you're right.." Y/N looked up at the sky. "Hey, Aki-nee.. I remember Mom once told us that she had a twin sister..."

"........................"

"I wonder where she is right now.."

The two girls went silent afterwards. Y/N was in deep thought while Aki was silently watching over her with a worried look in her eyes.

---Time Skip ---

Nami was about to head to the kitchen but stopped when their mother stepped out from the baths.

"Mom..? So you're back. Welcome home."

"Oh, Good evening Nami." The woman ran a towel across her hair. "Planning to take a bath?"

"No.. I'm not." Nami replied as she diverted her gaze. The woman looked at her in amusement and extended an arm to ruffle her hair.

"G-Geez, mom!" Nami protested in mix embarrassment and annoyance. "I'm not a kid anymore. Stop doing that."

"Come on, there's nothing to be embarassed about.." smiled the woman.

Nami puffed her cheeks and when her eyes landed on the woman's arm, she froze for a moment.

"Hm?" The woman gave Nami a curious stare once she noticed her expression.

"Uhm. It's nothing." Nami quickly said as she stepped backwards. She faced away from the woman to return to her room.

"Mom.."

"What is it?"

"Will you be home tomorrow?"

"Depends if I have free time." The woman thought for a moment. "Why do you ask?"

Looking back, Nami responded with a cheeky grin.

"Because tomorrow.. is your birthday Mom."
_____________________________________

"Managed to fool her.. at last." the woman said as she examined the scar on her right arm.

"Nami and Y/N were young back then. Whether the scar is on the left or right, it doesn't really matter." Aki said. A worried look crossed her features as she gazed at the woman's arm.

"Anyways, mom. That was a bit reckless of you."

"There's no other option." sighed the woman. "I had to leave it for a week for the burn to leave a scar."

She then glanced at Aki sitting on the chair.

"But one day, we have to reveal the truth anyways.. right? We can only pretend for so long. They will eventually have their suspicions at some point."

"Even when that time comes.. Mom will always be mom."

Aki spoke solemnly while staring at the empty space

"You will always be our mother no matter what happens."

The woman didn't reply and just stared at Aki's melancholic look. Sighing faintly, she focused her gaze on the view from outside.

"Thanks Aki.. But even with those words, I still don't understand what it really means to be a mother.."

-End of Chapter -