Chapter 89

(A/N: I've been waiting to post these next couple chapters for so long. Hope you enjoy them. XxD)

******************************************************************

Alec had been ordered to leave Valentine's cell.

The Clave had denied the Inquisitor's request to execute Valentine, but Imogen was determined to do it herself, as revenge for her son that was killed as he served Valentine's circle.

But as he left, an astral projection image of Magnus along with Jace and Serena in shackles appeared in front of him.

"Hello Alec," Magnus said.

"Alec! I'm sorry," Serena yelled, Alec spotting the dried trickle of blood that had dripped down her face from her eyebrow.

"You were right, they switched," Jace said, nervously.

Alec ran back into the cell.

"STOP! STOP! That's not Valentine!" Alec yelled as he held Imogen's hand that was holding a dagger away from Valentine's body.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, and they turned to look through the glass wall of Valentine's cell as Magnus' voice said, "You've taken my light. Your darkness will come."

"What did you just say?" Imogen asked as she moved towards the glass almost as if in a daze.

"I'm repeating your words back to you," Valentine said simply as Imogen exited the cell and walked closer to the astral projection image.

"You remember the fire message you sent to me the night Stephan died?" he asked, and Imogen gaped before she stood frozen in place.

"The good news, is that in exchange for my freedom, you can save two of your pure-angel blooded warriors. As well as your Envoy to the Downworld."

"I don't make deals with the devil," Imogen resolved.

"You chose the wrong bait," Serena pointed out as she examined the nails on one hand, despite the shackles on her wrists.

"For all she cares, you could slaughter us right now," Jace finished.

"I don't think so. Imogen wouldn't dare slaughter her grandchildren."

Serena's head snapped up as she looked from her brother to Magnus to Imogen in disbelief.

"After all your lies, you expect us to believe that we're Herondale's?" Jace asked with a smirk, shoulder touching his sister's, wanting to be as close to her as possible for both her comfort and his.

"Stephen Herondale was your father, and his wife Celine was your mother," Valentine said to the twins before looking to Imogen. "You ever think about poor Celine? Nine months pregnant when she took her own life. Her dead body ravaged by werewolves and her unborn son eaten alive. Or was he?"

"Oh yeah, and what about Serena? Blood tests prove that we're twins. We are not Herondale's. Celine only had a son who died," Jace yelled to Valentine.

Valentine twisted Magnus' face into a smile. "I held the Soul-Sword when I told you that the two of you were my greatest achievements, even when you both took me by surprise. I planned on taking the Herondale son, no one even knew that Celine was pregnant with twins. A boy and a girl."

"You didn't..." Imogen said, tears in her eyes as she refused to look at the twins.

"The Clave took so much from me. So, I took something in return. What a surprise when I ended up with more than I bargained for. But I'm sure you want further proof," Valentine said before holding up a thick silver ring.

"My family ring. Where did you get that?" Imogen asked softly.

"Off Celine's very hand."

Imogen looked to the twins who were looking at each other in disbelief. Only now did she see it. How Serena's features resembled Celine's and Jace's, Stephen's. That was why she had been so cold to Jace when they were testing his and Clary's angelic abilities earlier. All she saw was her son.

She was broken out of it when Valentine spoke in Magnus's voice again.

"You have one hour to meet my demands, or your grandchildren die."