Chapter 48: Mother's Love (1)

I turned towards the source of the voice and saw a woman with silver hair. It was my mother. She looked at me with a faint smile.

"Mother."

I sat up straight immediately with a happy smile, showing my emotion when I saw her.

"You look troubled," she said with a puzzled expression as she walked closer.

"Um, no, it's nothing, just minor setbacks, that is all."

To be honest, I didn't know if I should call it minor. But I'm just playing innocent here.

"Is that so? But even so, you look tired, what say we take a breather for a while. Besides, we are going for lunch later, right?"

I pondered for a while, it wouldn't be bad to rest for a while. And, the way she was saying it, I can guess she wanted us to eat together.

"I guess it is fine."

"Splendid! Leave the book, let us sit comfily on the couch."

She pointed towards the nearby sofa facing the window where one could see the beauty of the view and nature.

I nodded my head and followed behind her like a true gentle and delicate lady.

"By the way mother, where were you? I didn't find you around the library."

I didn't exactly go around searching for her, so I have to ask that.

"... I was inside one of the private rooms."

She didn't specifically tell me what room. Well, I did ask Vernon beforehand about Mother, so I quite expected she would be specific. But, whatever, no rush. I can easily determine which room she was using when she returns there.

We reached the sofa and my mother immediately sat down, I could sense that she was mentally tired. I slowly sat down beside her.

"Were you reading novels? How was the one you are currently reading?" I asked.

"... No, not novels."

I looked at her with a puzzled face.

"Then... may I ask what you were working on?"

She smiled.

"Oh, just some stuff. You need not to concern yourself, focus on your magic lesson."

I don't even know if this should be called a lesson since I was self studying. But hey, I'm not complaining that much. It was not like I was not used to self studying.

"Okay..."

She then suddenly patted my head which caught me off guard. She gently caressed the top of my head, which was surprisingly...... pleasant.

"Mother?"

She giggled as she greeted my innocent gaze.

"Nothing, I was just thinking how you have grown. You still looked adorable as ever though."

She pinched my cheeks. Seriously, why does everyone think I'm adorable? I look beautiful, not cute. Ladies preferred to be called beautiful than being called cute.

"I miss the hug of my baby."

"!"

She suddenly pulled me and took me into her arms. She was tightly hugging me.

Woah woah! Hey! What the—

I was pretty startled.

"M-Mother?"