Chap. 29

"So what do you even do?" I asked Mr. Tate, folding my arms across my chest.

"It's called A-Team," he reminded me. "It's an academic team in which you're quizzed on questions related to mathematics, science, language arts, social studies, fine arts, world languages, and technology. We could really use you an asset to the team."

"I don't even know like half of those subjects," I pointed out.

I really don't want to join an extracurricular activity.

"That's why you attend practice," he encouraged.

"You have practice for A-Team?"

He looked around the room, where we were standing in the classroom with five other students that composed the Academic Team.

I guess this was practice.

"What do you do in practice?" I asked.

How could you possibly practice for an academic competition? Flash through flashcards of various subjects, hoping that you'll catch the just the right information?

"We study together and quiz each other. I provide the pizza," Mr. Tate informed me.

"You had me at pizza," I said, with a half-smile.

He laughed. "I think you'll enjoy it Sophie."

I don't know about that.

But they need another competitor. And I'm in need of a club to join.

It's like a match made in Heaven.

~*~

I pulled into my driveway, my eyebrows crinkling in confusion when I saw Bryce on my swinging back and forth on my front porch swing.

"What are you doing here?" I called, as I stepped out of my car.

He flashed me a smile.

I retrieved my backpack from the backseat before heading up to the front porch to join him.

"For you my lady," he said, offering me a bouquet of wild flowers.

I took a seat next to him on the swing, smelling my flowers as I snuggled up next to him. "Thank you. What's the special occasion?"

"Do I need a special occasion to bring my favorite girl flowers?"

I hummed in agreement, feeling my cheeks heat up a bit.

"Why are you out on my front porch?" I asked, as he continued to swing back and forth.

"Because I was waiting on you."

"I can see that. How long have you been here?"

"I had my mom drop me here after physical therapy because I figured you'd be here after school. But you never came home."

Right. A-Team.

"I joined a club."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "A club?"

"You have to promise not to make fun of me."

A smile tugged at the ends of his lips. "Would I make fun of you?"

"Yes, yes you would you jerk."

He chuckled, leaning over and planting a kiss on my cheek. "I promise."

"I joined A-Team."

His eyebrows furrowed in thought as he chewed on his bottom lip.

"Academic team," I added.