.43. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴀʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ

Jungkook hadn't expected to wake up in an empty bed so soon. In fact, he hadn't even considered the prospect of bestirring himself alone as something that would ever occur in his life again. He stretched his arms across the sateen linens but failed to reach the edge of the bed, which could only mean one thing: this was definitely not his bed. So where was he? The single eyelid he managed to lift didn't stay open long, due to the unbearable brightness of the room. Had London got rid of its dull backdrop overnight? Not very likely, yet Jungkook's buzzing head did not seem to be functioning properly this morning.

Three soft — yet still too loud — knocks on the door were heard, followed by a melodic Signor?

Oh. Right. Italy.

The voice kept talking. "This is your morning wake up service!"

Jungkook vaguely remembered asking for that. Something to do with having a train to catch...

Train! Taehyung!

Boy was Jungkook awake now. Awake and nervous because where in the world was Tae?! He took the quickest shower of his life and got dressed in such a hurry he almost left the bedroom topless. Grabbing a black cotton shirt to pair with his white fitted slacks (he didn't have time to give much thought to colour pairings at the moment), he rolled up his sleeves, getting ready to face the day's early heat, and ran downstairs to the reception desk. "Did you see my ... my ... the man who was with me yesterday? Kim Taehyung?"

"Angelo? Il fidanzato ?"

"Yes, him! My — fiancé." Was that his heart leaping inside his chest?

"Si, si. He went out."

"Did he say anything? Like, when he'd be back or where he went?"

"Sorry but no messaggio."

Jungkook had to stay calm and not let panic get the best of him. The young detective thus decided to search the room for a clue as to where his man had gone, but his thorough examination did not pay off. Not a single note on the bedside table, or anywhere.

Taking a deep breath in, he opted for packing his things because no matter how hard he tried to recall the previous night's events, he couldn't remember the time of their departure. Or if they had purchased tickets at all. Damn that sparkly Italian wine. Be that as it may, Taehyung had said yes, and that had been reason enough for Jungkook to get unabashedly drunk.

Folding the last of his shirts, he let memories of the heated night flood his brain, a smirk tugging at his lips. Suddenly feeling quite lightheaded, he wondered if he had in fact sobered because Jungkook swore he could sense Taehyung's gentle embrace around his waist.

"Someone's happy." Whispered in his ears, these words had Jungkook almost jump out of his skin. He turned around in Taehyung's arms, careful not to break the hug, and tried really hard to look upset.

"Someone's not happy?" asked the other warily.

"I woke up and you weren't there!"

"I'm sorry, darling. I wanted to bid farewell to Doctor Costa (remember? He patched me up after my failed landing) before the start of his shift." Taehyung moved his hands up Jungkook's back, slowly, cautiously. "I was on my way back when I ran into neighbours." One hand reached Jungkook's nape, stroking it gently. "You know how they are," he added, eyes focusing on the other's pouting lips. "I ended up saying my goodbyes to half of Riomaggiore."

Taehyung thought he had made his intentions clear and was taken aback when Jungkook deftly dodged his kiss, still sulky. "You could have left a note or something."